1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Epoxy

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Guttbag22, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Guttbag22

Guttbag22 Member

Looking to switch to epoxy for my ears. Does anyone recommend or now of a good brand to use

2. I use epo -grip clear paste, kicks in about 10 minutes giving you plenty of time to work the ear into the liner. Once it kicks no more adjusting and no worry of drumming.

3. TROPHY SHACK

TROPHY SHACK Phillip cole

X2 epo grip

4. Clear paste here also. Put both containers in hot tap water while roughing up the ear liners. It thins the two parts and application is easier.
    I think George passed that tip to me.

5. Toeknee22

Toeknee22 New Member

Do you have trouble with the epoxy turning the inside of the ears yellow after about a year? I used it for a season and they seemed to turn the hair and skin yellow.

6. brigham boy

brigham boy "if it's horny, mount it"

utah
    Re: Re: Epoxy

Its possible that the epoxy was applied too thick and got extremely hot.

Droid Baby!!!

Shut up and mount

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

ABSOLUTELY!!! Anytime you find ears "yellow" from epoxy, it is always because you "cooked the ears". Put the epoxy on thin and then work it with your hands, pushing any excess down to the earbutts. Once it begins to kick (heat up) you can open the hide and just peel the excess out. Don't let it harden as it becomes more difficult.

PERSONALLY, I use the Liquid Fast Set instead of the Clear Paste because as a liquid, it thins out much easier. Still, the Paste cures well and can be used. I use it on really torn up ears. The Liquid will leak out of tiny holes and I use it only on the "good" ears.

8. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

Actually, i believe there is some sort of chemical bleed through the hair roots. Thats what a judge at a competition told me once upon a time.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

9. Toeknee22

Toeknee22 New Member

when first mounted they look great not yellow at all and then I painted the ears send the mount out looks great then ive seen a few of the mounts later and the ear hair and skin turned yellow so if it got to hot would it turn yellow right away or would it wait a year? I have been using roman 555 on them lately with good luck I love that stuff!

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I've used Eco-Grip for 25 years or more (way before it was marketed for taxidermy) and never had it yellow. Perhaps its the brand you use or the thickness used but if done correctly, I don't know why.I have 20+ year old deer hanging in my family room that aren't yellow.

11. AJH

AJH Member

I've used standard 5 minute epoxy from harbor freight,etc. I only do a few mounts a year and I haven't had any issues. It might not be the most economical but it works for me. Good luck.

12. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I prefer water based adhesives for ears myself, and dont like epoxies for certain reasons...BUT...I have NEVER heard of Epo Grip yellowing. Theres some other brands that do, however. Im just clarifying its not EpoGrip. The reason for the yellowing isnt "cooking" by volume, anyway. In my best estimate its because some epoxies are at such a critical 1 to 1 ratio, and the yellowing seems like a bleeding of an oil byproduct which runs the length of the hair.

13. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

14. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    I use Polytranspar Epoxy Adhesive ... never had an ear separate from an earliner ... EVER! ;)