1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I need a beaver tail

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by JSeiler, Jan 29, 2013.

1. JSeiler

JSeiler Active Member

Anybody have an extra one laying around anywhere? I need one to have it freeze dried for an educational program

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Unless I'm badly mistake, beaver tails are NOT a good choice for freeze drying. They contain too much fat and grease to cure properly. You'd be better off to spit it on the ventral side, skin it out, shave it down, and mount it using Apoxie as inner support.

3. JSeiler

JSeiler Active Member

I was wondering about that George, I have never messed with one before. Just had someone contact me looking for one and I told them I would see what I could do. Thanks for the info

4. Matt

Matt Active Member

John, I have one in the freezer, you can have it, just pay the shipping.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Kathy, I'm not trying to divert business away from you, but if I have to open that tail, I see absolutely no purpose in freezedrying. The hairs look just like you described on my mounted ones. And I just HAVE to ask, how many of you have ever seen a beaver do anything with that tail except use is as a flagellate. There are no muscles in the tail itself, so it really can't move on it's own. I've trapped beavers and I don't ever recall finding one with it's tail wrapped around it like I see guys doing. The tail movement is dependent solely on the muscle group located in the base of the tail. It MAY hump up, but from my experience, that's only caused by the water pressure on the tail when it's slapped or when it's diving. It seems more a result of water pressure or gravity with it "moves" . I do know that on a fresh beaver, it takes an effort to bend the tail and it's nearly impossible to twist it perpendicular to the body.

Now I'm not so old that I can't be educated. Anyone with a better knowledge or reference would be appreciated.