1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Form altering question

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by kyddm, Jan 29, 2013.

1. kyddm

kyddm New Member

I am going to be mounting a year and a half old cow elk. As you know cow forms are very limited, especially in size. I have done alterations for turns and such but this will be my biggest alteration project. I am going to have to take at least two inches off the neck and going to have to narrow the head and shoulders. I think it would be better to cut and remove foam from the inside and foam back together instead of trying to rasp down to the size I need.
    Am I correct in this thinking?

Thanks,
    Dave

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Have you looked at Research Mannikins cow elk? You might want to see about altering a spike form if the measurements are closer.

3. kyddm

kyddm New Member

Tanglewood,
    I did not notice the spike from from research. I think it may work. I have got a 9.5" e-n and 17.5" neck. That spike form is 10.5" e-n and 18.5" neck. That would be a lot easier to modify.

Thanks for your input.

Just noticed that the cow form from research is the same size.

4. kyddm

kyddm New Member

I have already ordered a form from Jonas. This is the one I ordered.

http://www.jonas-supply.com/_e/Elk/product/3-8594/Elk_Cow_10_x_17_x_22_LT_Signature_Series.htm

I have not got it yet, but was thinking the 17" measurement was a neck measurement. That would have worked great. However, after looking at there how to measure section, I am wondering if that is the nose to the back of head measurement and it has a 22" neck. If so, it is going to be way big.

5. bowhunter132

bowhunter132 Member

kyddm.....that form should be right for ur cape the 22 inch is for 3inches down past ur 17 inch measurement....

6. kyddm

kyddm New Member

Well, I got the form and the 17" measurement was from the nose to the back of the head. The neck tight behind the ears is 23". I got another cow I can use this form on. I will have to go with something different for the other one though.