1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

35lb musky threw the ice

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by c.moore, Jan 30, 2013.

1. c.moore

c.moore New Member

49in 35pound musky

Attached Files:

2. c.moore

c.moore New Member

Attached Files:

3. c.moore

c.moore New Member

caught on the allegheny reservoir on senceca nation reservation.

4. fishandchips

fishandchips New Member

Gorgeous! 8)

5. c.moore

c.moore New Member

looking for a good taxidermist around my area. i live in salamanca ny. if any1 know any1 in the western ny area post there info for me. thanks

6. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

Congrats on the monster. I hope you don't get tarred and feathered by the C&R musky priests who think anyone who keeps a big musky is committing a crime. If you lived in Wisconsin they would lynch you! Just sayin'. Thanks for sharing the great photo! ;)

7. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

I'm from Buffalo, but am doing fish in Virginia now. Grew up hunting in the park, both in NY and PA. If you are looking to keep the fish in state, http://www.freewebs.com/anglingartisan/ . You won't be disappointed. If you are willing to send it out of state, well....there are lots of good options.
    Great catch, Scott

8. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Richard is one of best of the best out there but I'm not sure if he does skin mounts but he certainly has the ability to. (That is if you are looking for a skin mount). Richard?

As a taxidermist specializing in fish, if I was an angler that wanted a skin mount I'd freeze the fish in wet towels and tape garbage bags around it (unless you want a mold made of it in which case you should contact the one that will be doing it as in Richard above). Then I'd take my time looking at the work of various fish taxidermists. Also remember you usually get what you pay for. If their work doesn't look like it just came out of the water move on. If this is a fish of a lifetime for you don't be in a hurry to just take it somewhere.

But as I said you can't go wrong with Richard just by looking at his astounding painting on his website.

If money is an issue many taxidermists can set you up with a payment plan as the best ones take several months anyway.

Wow this is embarrassing. :-[ I've been bouncing around on from here and a fishing website called Ice Shanty.com. I thought I was still on Ice Shanty.com! :-[

At least I didn't say anything bad!

9. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

For NY area, Rich is definetely someone I would use. His number is 585-659-8653.

Also Paul C on here lives in PA, and is really close to you as well. Is number is 716-390-0085.

Both are OUTSTANDING fish guys in that area of the country.

Gary Bruch is also up there, but I dont have a number for him, as well as Brian Claar.

I know there are others up there, that do insane work. Forgive me if i missed anyone.

10. c.moore

c.moore New Member

thanks for the info. i wanted to do a skin mount but after seeing anglingartism.com makes me want to have him do a mold. what are the goods and bad of skin mount or repo? does paul or gary have website i could look at therem work? thanks

11. c.moore

c.moore New Member

muskys are open on the reservation right now but are closed on ny waters. we go by diffrent rules for any1 that thinks it out of season for this musky.

12. 1fish2fish

Well, Brian Noody is in Ny 2, fredonia. Forgot about him. Paul is Erie PA I think. All excellent.

13. 1fish2fish

http://www.tristatetaxidermy.com/

14. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Pros of of a Musky Replica

1.) No grease bleeding (if the real head is used).

2.) No issues years down the road

3.) Can be easier to paint identical to a photo due to not having to deal with the dried skin tone (if the fish is not whited out and painted like a repro which I have done on occasion).

Cons of Musky Replica

1.) A mold of a fish that was not the one you caught (if a mold is not made of your fish)

2.) Probably more expensive than a skin mount although not necessarily

Anybody else want to chime in?

15. Don Jahner

Don Jahner Well-Known Member

Im one of those catch and release where muskies concerned, That is until I catch my first 50 incher, heck bet I would of lowered my standard an inch for that one, congrads it a buit.

16. dougp

dougp Active Member

Since you have kept the fish and are open to a reproduction my thought would be to contact a top quality mold maker for his input. Rich Benedict certainly fits that description as will others who may be willing to do your fish. Do your homework. Jimmy and Cecil gave good info. Freeze it well and search the artists available to you who you will feel comfortable with.

DougP

17. c.moore

c.moore New Member

how hard is it to send fish in the mail to out of state taxidermist?

18. EA

EA Well-Known Member

That is a Beautiful Fish, Congratulations ! That lake has some nice ones.

19. I would contact Rich
    Here is his profile
    http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=1312

He is in Western NY and if you are in salamanca NY he is in your neighborhood. I doubt you would have to ship the fish anywhere.
    He will likely make a mold of your fish and paint a replica so well it will make your jaw drop. He does fantastic work.

20. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

And so does Josh Knuth!