1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Has anyone ordered forms from Second 2 Nature supply

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by tommy70, Jan 31, 2013.

1. tommy70

tommy70 New Member

Im looking at theyre forms and love the details and they have alot more than mckenzie has,but some parts look alien,not natural. would like to see what your responses are and if you have used them,would love to see any and all deer mounts that used second 2 nature..thanks alot.

2. backcountrychad

backcountrychad Active Member

Tommy, I've used one or two. They are not realistic IMO at all. A lot better forms available to be honest about it.

3. I ordered from their once. Enough said.

4. Tree Dog

Tree Dog New Member

Tn
    Im mounting a coon on one now and I'm not very impressed with it. It barely had a nose on it and the lips were strong and started to fade to nothing in the corners.

5. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

People need to realize that just because it has "detail" does not mean that it has "proper" detail or anatomy.

6. tommy70

tommy70 New Member

thanks to all that responded ! I agree with you..on not being realistically correct.

7. Skyscraper

Skyscraper Member

Same here!

8. boss400

boss400 Member

i use them i like them my customers like them

9. jakecs

jakecs Member

The one that I used seemed like the Styrofoam was of a cheaper grade than most. Seemed like it wanted to chip and break very easily

10. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

I like their forms and use them pretty much exclusively. I'm only a part timer but the customers I have seem to really like them. As far as being anatomically correct...what form really is? Just depends on which sculptor's interpretation you prefer.

11. There is a he!! of a lot closer interpretations of living deer than what Second 2 Nature has to offer. My 2 cents.

12. mikehurt88

mikehurt88 Member

I've never used one or heard of them untill you posted this but from just looking at their forms compared to others there things about them that just doesn't look right to me. Not to say they are bad as I really don't know but for a couple more bucks I'd just go with the forms that everyone on here recommends more often.

13. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I use them almost exclusively. Customer acceptance is 100%. One of my reasons for using them is that they are the only mannikin on the market that offers a L, R, and S in every size and every pose from sneak to full upright in both Northern and Southern deer. I don't have to thumb through countless pages of poses to find what I want. There is a learning curve to mounting on them. My main complaint is the forehead being too wide. The muscle tone is a seller. I'm am old cow judge, so rippling muscles and tortuous veins are appealing to me. There is a rare customer who does not want the muscle detail in the shoulder area. To satisfy them, I just fill the indentions with mache to have smooth shoulders.

14. I would rather use a chunk of 2 by 4 and some wood wool !!

15. A lot of rednecks around my parts love those muscles. I use to refuse but I have confessed before that I am a taxidermy whore! If they are going to take their business elsewhere if I don't do muscles then I'm doing muscles and you get them in spades with a second to nature deer form. And joey is right the forehead is too wide and makes the tear duct set sometimes very difficult.

16. AMCTaxi

AMCTaxi Wholesale Small Mammal Taxidermist

This is just Dan Chase stuff under a new distributor. Most of the forms suck and require a substantial amount of altering to get anything reasonable out of them. In a pinch, they are good, especially the lifesize when you know you have to alter anyway and you can get close fits for pretty much anything. I am not a fan of the deer forms and would rather go with something from McKenzie or Joe Coombs. Those are my two "go to" places for deer.

17. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

2nd 2 Nature is both old school and new school combined. New school Jeff Martin and old school Dan Chase. Are the forms exaggerated? yes. Are they an easy fix? Oh heck yes. See, my reason for not using 2nd 2 Nature is personal. He sits on the NTA board of directors, but yet I have spoken to him numerous times at shows and he doesn't even realize what they (Crains) have done to this industry through their vendetta against others. It's a shame. Jeff Martin has taken what was once a tarnished brand (for right or wrong) and turned it into his own.

I, because of his 100% agreement with Greg Crain refuse to order from his company (as I advise others to do because so), but if there is a 2nd 2 Nature product ordered at an auction I'm attending I swipe it up and make it into a custom for my client.

Here is a 2nd 2 Nature I bought at an auction for $8 and turned into an $850 wall pedestal for my client.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any form can take you anywhere. Whether it be a McKenzie, OTS or 2nd 2 Nature..,.. problem
    Is, the 2nd 2 Nature owner sits on a board that has an executive director set out on ruining people and Jeff Martin just rows along not knowing any better. Too bad I can't refer new clients to him
    as I do all others, too bad a supplier rolls along with closed eyes.

I wouldn't refer anything from 2nd 2 nature, are they useable? Hell yes..... is the board he sits on? Only if you don't disagree. go with McKenzie and OTS people, you're not feeding the dragon of the NTA.

18. AMCTaxi

AMCTaxi Wholesale Small Mammal Taxidermist

Michael that is one awesome and unique pose. I really love that it shows off the side profile of the deer. I don't really think I have seen a shoulder mount done quite like that before. I'm assuming it was done as such to show the weirdo antler growing backwards? Still..I really love it!

19. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

Thats a awesome mount micheal ! I used some years ago like in the early 90s to me they where ok back then . but nothing like whats out there now like Mckenzie, Ben Mears , & Gene Smith . i use alot of Gene's forms .

20. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Gene Smith, Mears and McKenzie all has awesome forms!!

Let me say this about Jeff Martin. As a person, although I do not know him personally, from when he has been around me, he is a perfect gentleman...... but he also has 2 eyes..... he needs to open them and take a real look at the leadership of the organization and it's executive director of which HE oversees.

Open your eyes Jeff and let's get some forward progress in the NTA. You want people to look at your company in the present tense, we want you to look at the NTA in the same way.