1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

"Immortalized" Pre-Air Premiere.

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by AMCTaxi, Feb 1, 2013.

1. AMCTaxi

AMCTaxi Wholesale Small Mammal Taxidermist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbteUOeOQSI

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet....

There it is folks. This is the show that AMC is producing. Thoughts?

2. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

;D C J , my kinda piece, That's cool.,

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Thank you Adam. After having watched that and the "judges" decision, I can only hope "How It's Made" is on the SCI channel at the same time so I can watch something palatable.

4. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

Its like "Iron Chef" meets Taxidermy. I'm gonna take my position on the fence and wait to see which side i fall on

5. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Damn! This is going to be a good show, **** the critics!

6. Ken Edwards

Ken Edwards Taxidermy.Net Administrator Staff Member

I liked it! Granted, you have to have a cheesy plot arc to capture and maintain the attention of the non-taxidermy audience, and non-taxidermy judges are not going to have the same standards for choosing a winner as we are all used to, but the show really did a good job of showing what goes into creating a competition mount, and portraying taxidermists as skilled artisans. I think it will be great for the industry! Having seen almost everything ever broadcast about taxidermy, I was pleasantly surprised. Two thumbs up from me!

7. boarzhead

boarzhead God created man... Samuel Colt made them equal!

Don't know if gonna watch. Need to see one more before judging but good find. Thanks

8. boarzhead

boarzhead God created man... Samuel Colt made them equal!

just found this. This is one of the judges. Almost the kind of taxidermy as on the movie Dinner for Shmucks

http://www.jeremyriad.com/blog/events/catherine-coans-canary-suicides/
    http://canarysuicides.com/

9. George

Ken, though that's true, it left a bad taste in my mouth like a couple of the others. I don't know Page from Adam and he's not someone I'm going to blindly stand up for regardless of what others might say, but that "competition" looked like "Junkyard Wars" versus "Breakfast at Tiffany's" Page's cat was spectacular and he DID explain it well, but that other clusterflock was a disaster. No wonder it was "The End of theWorld". Why didn't they put Page's bobcat up against the other guys? And to think it's "immortilized" scares hell out of me.

10. michael p.

Why would they put Pages cat up against the other guys? Did they say 'hey, this is a bobcat conpetetion? If so, I never heard it. Taxidermists need to come out of their incubator and sometimes look at how the world views them. I personally think that's what holds many taxidermists down, they take too much of what their peers think is good and not enough of what the public thinks is good.

I hope this show opens some young dermists eyes to not pay as much attention to what your brother or sister in taxidermy see's, but realize what the public paying you wants to see.

11. Allie

Allie Member

"And remember, it's not whether you win or lose. it's how you display the game."
    I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of them.

12. I'll watch if the lady judge is back....

13. swampthang

swampthang New Member

Ken, P and George, thanks for the kind words. I tried my best to look professional and give the industry a good name. I was worried about the editing and how we'd appear to the public. I'm not crazy about the odd facial expressions I had. Most of that was filmed during little breaks, and I didn't realize they were still filming. Those lights on stage are bright and HOT. But the show is about the theme, and how you interpret it. CJ went biblical. The judges liked it better. Congrats to CJ. Now, I'm not sure how the rogues will be taken. They're a little ....odd, you might say. But it was a lot of fun, and I'd probably do it again.

14. George

Michael, are your eyes brown. THEY set it up as a "competition". It doesn't have anything to do with how others view taxidermists if it's a COMPETITION. The work in that other piece sucked. The wolf's teeth were too far back in the mouth, the porcupine had the face twisted and the coons nose set out too far. AND THOSE WERE JUST THE THINGS I NOTICED. If I recall correctly, it was you who gave Sam Cook so much hell over his lion. Quit playing both sides of the street. LMAO

Page, thank you for not allowing Michael to dress you like he did CJ. All CJ needed was a straw hat with a green sun visor.

15. michael p.

George, with all due respect, this is not MIA and not a professional shop. It's funny that you said what you did because I have quite a few 'award winning taxidermists' around me who I see quite often raising hell how they are starving to death and live much closer to the 'money centers' than I do..... not being cocky or arrogant, just truthful, I probably couldn't win those awards that they did if I tried and cannot legitimately call myself even an award winning circus act...... but my prices are higher and I couldn't stop the work coming in with a bulldozer.

George, Page is an artist, i'm a hack compared to Page, but give me a shot in an open arena with Page, I stand a hell of a chance. Put me and Page in the World Taxidermy Championships against each other and I'll wave the white flag quicker than France did against Germany.

Thats what cracks me up about Taxidermists, we'll compete like hell against each other and beat our chests 'we won!'.... but some half assed taxidermist comes along, gets more that he/she can handle, but does..... and everybody looks at them like 'they don't deserve it!'

Damn jackasses don't realize you must be well rounded to run a business. Page is one of those well rounded people. I've personally seen that boy (well actually he's a man, but he's teeny tiny so we'll call him boy ;) ) with a trailer headed from NC to CA with about 50 grand of work he done by himself in a couple of months. Every damn piece would win a blue at probably any state show. He is that damn talented. Problem is, that young man he competed with, with his confidence could impress a client as good as Page could...... now though, is that a problem? No it is not. This is a business and our job is to impress OUR clients and **** all the rest. I guarentee that anybody here could bash both to death and it won't make a mules pile of crap, their customers think they are both the greatest.

If more taxidermists focused on what their customers truly think and want, there wouldn't be such a divide in progression as a business between us.

16. Brian Claar

Brian Claar New Member

Page and CJ are my friends. Houser is one of my closest friends and I am happy for them all.
    I wish I was part of it.

I liked the show. Some of the comments above are trying to gauge the show on what we think a competition is. Clearly from the wide variety of judges on the panel you could tell this was going to be different. Page did a fantastic job on that piece but CJ probably delivered the message that was pictured in their minds. IMO that put him over the top.
    I don't think anyone here should be bad mouthing anyones work on the show, or cracking jokes about their looks. These guys stepped up and did something out of the norm. It's a million times better than that other show with the pets.

The roque taxi's are the ones I scared to watch but it may be interesting. I guess we will soon see.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

17. Brian Claar

Brian Claar New Member

18. AMCTaxi

AMCTaxi Wholesale Small Mammal Taxidermist

I don't want to Judge the show critically just yet. One episode doesn't allow a proper judgement. I want to see all four "Immortalizers" in action first. I don't think I could say anything better than what Michael or Brian already have. This wasn't a competition by our "industry" standards. This is more bringing taxidermy into the 21st century and showing off its new found "hip" appeal that it is slowly gaining with people outside of the normal customer range.

Page's cat and quail were absolutely breathtaking mounts and within our industry competitions would have given him blue ribbons all around. CJ's exploding mountain of doomed animals better conveyed the keyword of "End of the World" to a wider audience. Both people deserve tons of respect for showing what can be done with a skilled hand.

In the end, realistically, who do we cater more to? What WE want or the guy who is giving us a paycheck? If Bob Bobbertson comes to you and says he wants a cougar mounted eating a mute swan, that's what he's going to get. If you decline to do it, somebody else WILL do it. I like this sort of thinking outside the box this show is conveying. I think it might perk up the general stagnation of taxidermy in the eyes of the general audience who when they hear "Taxidermy" they think scary albino deer in Uncle Charlie's hunting cabin with peeling ears and the stiff legged cockeyed pheasant on Grandma's floor model TV next to the photo of Pop Pop who shot it 30 odd years ago.

19. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

As soon as they said the theme I had an AWESOME idea! But alas. However, George had the theme been "The end of innocence" I would have done an "air Jellyfish" just for you, and I guarantee that you would be sold!

20. LMFAO!, I could just imagine....

I liked the teaser. Can't wait till it aires