1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

small cut in nose

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by joebrinkley, Feb 1, 2013.

1. I have a small cut in the hair side of the nose about midway from the eyes and nose. Its about a 1/4 cut but i do not want it to show at all. Before i mount it I really don't want to sew it because I don't want it to have a bump there after i mount. I was thanking about super glue with some kind of backing. but not shore yet what to do yet. This will be my 4Th deer and i really would like this one to look really good. Better than all the last. If someone can help me It would be so appreciated. Thank you.

2. backcountrychad

backcountrychad Active Member

Using quality hide paste, mount as normal. Use a couple small T pins to hold the cut together. It will be fine.

3. Thanks you so much, I had thought about trying that and now I thank I will try doing it.

4. Why would there be a bump if you sewed it? If there was a bump, beat it down with a hammer.

5. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

theguyyouknowtaxidermy The Guy You Know Taxidermy<Daniel Elkins>

apoxie sculpt, paint, done

6. I agree, I would sew it, myself. I just did one that had been slit in the throat just below the white patch - i sewed it. When I taxied skin into place, the hair stuck out in that spot. I beat it down with hammer and then carded it with hardware cloth. Can't see it at all.

7. Thank you all for your input. I really appreciate it all.

8. CannonQ

CannonQ New Member

Here's my trick. Sew with thin monofilament, I like magna thin, 4 or 6 pound test or even 2.Small needle bring stich as close to edge of cut as possible, preferably right on the edge.
    One stich at a time. Tie , cut and move to the next one. Just like a plastic surgeon, prevents side pull and allows you to line up hair patterns exactly.
    Tie off and dot with superglue to keep knot tied, hammer if you need , but you shouldn't,
    I have a head that I fixed a 1 inch hole in the muzzle in short summer hair that I can't find today. Fixed it 15 years ago.
    I know where I fixed it, still can't find it.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

9. Dogsteaks

Dogsteaks New Member

Nice tip about the no-side-pull stitching, CannonQ :)