1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First whitetail critiques?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by mtbehm, Feb 2, 2013.

1. mtbehm

mtbehm New Member

Just got done with my first whitetail shoulder mount. Just finished last night so it is still wet and can be adjusted so Im looking for whats wrong and what I should do to fix it. I still have to do some final grooming but figured Id start looking for other things to fix before it dries. Thanks Alot, Matt

Attached Files:

2. mtbehm

mtbehm New Member

another

Attached Files:

3. mtbehm

mtbehm New Member

another

Attached Files:

4. The deer looks angry!

The front eye shape needs to be rounder.

Pretty solid first deer though, congrats!!

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    The antlers are set too high and tipped too far forward. The eyes look sunken in. The back corner of the lip needs some adjustment. These are the things that jump out at me. Better pictures and you may get a better critique. Bag it and do some research on setting antlers and eyes and study reference pics and you will likely see what I mean.

6. mtbehm

mtbehm New Member

made a few changes.

Attached Files:

7. mtbehm

mtbehm New Member

another

Attached Files:

8. mtbehm

mtbehm New Member

another

Attached Files:

9. mtbehm

mtbehm New Member

another

Attached Files:

10. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I don't see any difference other than ears carded. I also noticed the nostrils are not tucked the same. It isn't horrible for your first but has the typical first time isues. There is a ton of knowledge available here on setting antlers and eyes on whitetails. I am not trying to discourage you, so don't take it as that. If you are happy with it then let it be but if it were me I think I would take it apart and start over, after doing a little more homework on the issues I pointed out, at least open it up and reset the antlers and the eyes. Good luck

11. mtbehm

mtbehm New Member

I made the eyes rounder and tried making them look less sunk in, I can tell in the actual mount that there is a difference maybe it is harder to see in the pics. Does it seem that there is too much clay built around them? Or are they completely set wrong(angle, depth etc..)? I have been looking at tons of reference and looking at the mount what seems like forever, I think my brain and eyes are tricking me at this point. I have four more that I am going to be doing as soon as I can afford capes and get a break from school so I think I will just leave this one and continue practicing on those Do the antlers need to come forward or just straight down from the position they are in? I really appreciate the help and am not discouraged at all, hearing whats wrong just makes me want to do it better. Thanks again, Matt

12. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Looks like the eyes are set too deep. At one time there was a discussion on the depth of deer eyes, someone posted a method to double check to make sure they were set correct. I cannot remember the post title. Try and search it. Take a look at the antlers on the euro behind your mount. Pay attention to the flow of the antlers in relation to the head. They flow with the head. They do not make such a hard angle as you have them. Maybe a wider angle pic so we can see if I am correct hard to tell for sure.

13. here's a pic of a good antler ear set,
    Jim

Attached Files:

14. mikehurt88

mikehurt88 Member

I'm not a seasoned vet so I don't chime in much on critiquing but I thought I could help you a bit for the antlers. For setting the antlers your main beam should run parallel to the bridge of the nose. The red line is close to the angle you have yours set. The yellow line is close to the angle they should be set at. I also take measurements of the tips of each main beam and the base of each beam to the front corner of the eye to set it as close as possible and then eyeball the crap out of it to get as close to running parallel as I can. Good luck and Looks better then my first.

[​IMG]

15. mtbehm

mtbehm New Member

comparison

Attached Files:

16. mtbehm

mtbehm New Member

comparison

Attached Files:

17. mtbehm

mtbehm New Member

I compared it to a euro mount I have and it looks like the euro is tilted further forward to me than the set on my mount. maybe its just me but does it seem that way to you guys too? I also took some better pics of the eyes I will post. Thanks, Matt

Didnt notice this was on a different page so ill addd it again so comparing is easier

Attached Files:

18. mtbehm

mtbehm New Member

some better pics of the eyes

Attached Files:

19. mtbehm

mtbehm New Member

more

Attached Files:

20. mtbehm

mtbehm New Member

frontal and wider view