1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Life size fighting bucks

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Hunter Williams, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Had a client find to bucks on his property locked up and want to do them life size fighting on base. I've done several life size deer but nothing like this :-\. I know there will be many alterations. My questions are. How much should I figure in for alterations? Who are some of suppliers forms have used or recommend for this pose if there are any. What are some prices you would charge for a piece like this? If you have pics of past work please post. Thanks and sorry for so many questions.

2. Gotta be honest. If your asking these questions, YOUR IN WAY OVER YOUR HEAD!

3. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

You have to cut the heads off the forms and then the necks and resulpt the necks so that the antlers with the heads on work. Then mount each deer without the antlers and attach them to the mounts afterwards. Thats the short version.

4. Not over my head just trying to see how others work, charge, preference on forms for particular pose etc. Thanks for your positive input.

5. Riverland

Riverland New Member

Material cost is the same for everyone. Labor cost is not. Some people work twice as fast as others. Knowing what others charge should not make a difference. Figure hours of labor in your other deer and add 25 percent more for changes. Plus material cost.

6. Ok here ya go $8000 minimum would be my price depending on habitat. Your gonna have a lot of time in alterations no matter what form you use.

7. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    There are choices. Dammit ... can't you look through the catalogs/websites?
    http://www.rmi-online.com/product_info.php/cPath/904_4069/products_id/45590
    [​IMG]

http://www.rmi-online.com/product_info.php/cPath/904_4069/products_id/47260
    [​IMG]

http://www.rmi-online.com/product_info.php/cPath/904_4069/products_id/47259
    [​IMG]

8. I have to say there are some people on here who need a needle put in their blown up head. I'm new at this but Its unbelievable to me the rudeness on this site at times. The taxidermist around here do not treat people this way. I understand that some of you see yourselves as experts in your field and no doubt the quality of work reflects that. Still I can't see why people treat people so rudely. Everyone has to learn, you don't learn without trial and error. You will all have a heart attack when I say this but I haven't mounted a deer yet... and if someone came to me with this mount I would take the work... express my experience (that being none) and tell them if they still want me to do it ok. I would call all my taxidermy buddies and they would drop what they were doing and jump in to help me. No reason to down new or experienced people... I PROMISE we can all teach each other something that we don't know. Nothing wrong with asking questions that have simple answers or have been answered before. I had tons of very good taxidermist, some better than the best on this site, that told me not to fool with this forum. Because of the people who look down on others from their pedestal mounts. They aren't completely right either. I have gotten some great resources, met some great people, and learned a ton from here.

THANK YOU for those who do give advice, do take time to help, and are the offering their input.

We can never stop learning... I will tell you now if you think you know everything about one thing such as taxidermy I promise someone could still teach you something. That's a good thing.

That being said I'll come down off my soap box and say that I would research all I could, call people around you who ARE willing to give you advice and not be rude. Look into all the books, you can etc. I have seen fighting shoulder mounts in alot of the books that could be modified with a lifesize body and it seems you have some ideas in the previous post. Google fighting buck mounts... fighting buck taxidermy... ETC. It will take alot of time, research, etc. As far as price I would start with 2 lifesize whitetail prices and go from there with added time, and work put in. Though I wouldn't charge more than 2 lifesize whitetail mounts if it were me.

Can't wait to see what is said when I put my work on here. LOL. But hey I take it in stride. Just loosen the collars people.

9. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

I've never done fighting bucks, but I would probably stick with $2500 each deer, 33% extra for habitat, and I would say a days worth of alterations daily rate of a few hundred bucks.. ( I would say $500) then maybe offer alterations at 50% off to save the guy a few bucks cause he's spending alot of money and you are getting to try something new and add a sweet mount to your portfolio. (Which doesn't pay the bills, but sometimes it's better to give a throwback to the guys spending good money in your shop. )

10. Riverland

Riverland New Member

Good thing the old ornry codgers are wrapped up in politics or they would be all over this one.