1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Removing the shield on a boar

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Double_D, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Double_D

Double_D New Member

I am currently working an my first boar and got him caped out but now it seems like im getting nowhere. I tried using a fleshing knife but didnt seem to work. Is there an easier way to remove the thick shield they have other then taking a scalpal to every square inch?

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Rick Carter's wild boar A-Z dvd.

3. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

X2.

4. JLong

JLong Member

Fleshing machine works good.

5. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog Stay Classy

You must have a different fleshing machine, or your boar shields aren't quite what the one's I work with are. Some of them are 1.5"+ thick and hard as steel. I've tried the blade and it sounded like I was trying to grind through a cinder block. There are a few ways to remove them. I score mine w/ a scalpel and cut it off in strips.

6. shammy

shammy New Member

I use a big skinning knife, then just start cutting.

7. If you have a big rank boar with super thick shieds you would be better off if you try and cut the skin off of the sheild. Since the the shield is concave it is very difficult to get it to the fleshing machine blade until you thin it enough it will flex. The boar in Rick Carter's video is young and does not have heavy shields.

8. Lots of elbow grease

9. The one I did was about an inch thick. Rick Carter video walked me through whole process, but the shield was thicker on one I did. Lots of elbow grease with the knife- although Rick may have bigger pipes than I do. :)

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

10. [I got so pissed I put a dado blade on a Skilsaw and basically "routered" the damn things off.....LOL.]

ooowee I bet that made a mess! :eek:

11. dablaw

dablaw Member

Try investing in a Fein Multimaster vibrating saw...You'll be glad you did.

12. I have one. What blade works best? The half round wood cutting blade?

13. Double_D

Double_D New Member

Thank you everyone for the help. He was the lead hog and the shield is about 1 1/2 " i was thinking maybe a stiff wire brush in a drill to start? im sure it will make a mess but im moving shops in a week so wont be my problem. jk

14. dablaw

dablaw Member

Either to half round blade or the straight plunge cut blade works

15. Thanks, I will give it a try.