1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

what tan is your favorite?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by D.D, Feb 5, 2013.

1. D.D

D.D New Member

When I first started out about 5 years back, a family friend showed me the basics... he used and swore by para-tan and so this is the product I have used... I only do about 15-20 mounts per year for myself, family and friends so I haven't ever experimented with anything else. The para-tan has worked OK for me. I can't complain but I also wouldn't say im sold on it for life. I've searched this tan and can't really find many people using it. My jug is almost gone and im curious about other types
    my question is what do you guys use/ suggest and why? Any info always helps, thanks!

Btw most the hides I tan are for shoulder mounts, but I also have attempted some soft hide tans with so/so results.

2. Nyati

Nyati I love tahr huntin

Tru bond for me

3. TruBond 1000 hands down

4. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

I'm sure TruBond is good - but for me, I use EZ-100! It's easy to use, not complicated, does an excellent finish, price-wise it's reasonable, has an indefinate life, and can easily be washed (in Hot Water under 180 degrees) if it accumulates dust or dirt! A good all-around tan in my opinion! A Saftee Acid Pickle and EZ-100 Tanning Solution! A nice cream colored leather!

5. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I've tried several and I also have to say TruBond.

6. D.D

D.D New Member

As I said earlier I haven't done much research into other tans. But im surprised most people say true bond. Seems I've stumbled on alot of posts of people using lutan f or others more than I have read about true bond... from first hand experience WHY truebond? Thanks for the responses

Bruce, your saying that with EZ you can wash an already tanned hide if it gets dirty? Could you not do this with other tans?

7. brigham boy

brigham boy "if it's horny, mount it"

utah
    True bond;D

Droid Baby!!!

Shut up and mount

8. Does anyone use Pro 1 tan? I have used it with the last 8 deer mounts and have mixed thoughts on it. Every cape stretched to raw measurement, but seems I had to struggle to get hide into position. Maybe because I just can't flesh thin enough? To me it felt like a rigid type of leather. Smells great. Just like real leather. Anyone use it?

9. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

Your just giving your opinion,, like the other guys? ;D ;D ;D

10. NTR

NTR New Member

W.V.
    Well, myself, I am partial to a nice brazilian mid summer tan. ;)

11. D.D

D.D New Member

That's exactly what im looking for, is opinions from people who do this alot more than I do??? I don't understand why that wouldn't be a very good question?....
    I could have asked what is the BEST tan to do yourself. But then again that would get more opinions... seems to me to ask OPINIONS from people more knowledgeable than myself. Is a good way to learn, is it not?

12. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

My opinion is a bit skewed but it's TruBond for me.

13. kikkertinz

kikkertinz Glass half full

never would've quessed.. ;)

14. D.D

D.D New Member

Well thank you for further explaining it. And apologies for leaving my question so open ended. I do understand that sending your hide off to a tannery will most likely end in better results than doing it myself. But home tanning has worked for what I need.
    To rephrase my question then.... what tans "that can be purchased from a distributer like McKenzie or similar" would be worth researching more into for me? Im capable of doing my own research but a step in the right direction from others experiences is always nice. So im not buying a different jug of multiple different tans

15. boarhunter67

I have no allegiance to Trubond because someone on here sells it. I tried Pro-1 and it was okay as were some of the others. I like Trubond the best because I've gotten the best stretch and feel from it.
    I am curious about the statement that no brush on tan will be as good as a submersible. That's like saying a home tan will never be as good as a tannery's. While I think that most of the time that's true, I've seen tans from tannery that were crappy, had no stretch, and didn't hold stitches. Are you saying that if I properly salt, rehydrate, pickle, neutralize, and rub in a plentiful amount of tanning cream, cover it and leave it overnight until it's absorbed, that some part of the skin will still not have gotten some of the tanning cream absorbed so some part won't be tanned, or are you saying that submersible tans are chemically superior? Are you saying the method or chemicals are better? If I use a submersible with a crappy product, how is that better than using a rub on with a better product? I'm not trying to argue, but I wonder how someone can say this way is ALWAYS better.

16. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I've used several tans and my favorite ones are EZ 100 and Liqua-tan. I haven't tried Tru bond yet. I've settled on Liqua-tan for various reasons. I can't find a difference in the final product between EZ 100 and Liqua-tan.

17. D.D

D.D New Member

Well thank you everyone for your opinions and statements. I wasn't trying to open any can of worms.

A brush on tan does seem as if it would be a little more simple in ways, in the sense that you just paint it on vs mixing up a tanning bath that is only good for one go round. Ill look into some other brush on tans and give one a try and go from there. Thanks again

18. boarhunter67

No problem, Hudson. I only questioned the word "Always" and wondered what theorically would make submersible always better. I can see how a tanner will have an easier time getting complete penetration with a submersible, but does that mean one can't get complete penetration unless one uses a submersible? I'm not an expert so I was looking for the why beyond what I already postulated.

19. boarhunter67

Thanks Hudson. I already knew that was what you thought and I'm not disputing it, just asking why? Is that just an opinion or is there some reason or proof other than your experience? In other words who's to say a brush on won't penetrate as well under the right circumstances? Logically, I can see why it seems like a submersible would penetrate better, but is there some evidence to say that or just working theory?

20. big dan

big dan Member

utah
    Also Hudson have you ever used trubond or are you already convinced without trying it that it is an inferior tan? Also trubond makes a submersible tan as well, haven't tried it but plan on it.