1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

what tan is your favorite?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by D.D, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

Hi D.D - Whenever I mounted a Deerhead I used its washability as a selling point! I'd deliver the Head tanned with EZ-100 and tell them, that if it accumulates dust or other grime - you should be able to safely clean or wet it. In fact, years from now, if you want to, you can have a Taxidermist strip the cape (providing you didnt use super glue as a hide paste) off the present mount, rehydrate it and have it re-posed on a new form safely.

EZ-100 is a syntan. Most hot tap water at the most attains 120 degrees Fahranhiet. Being a syntan, to cause any problems with it, you'd have to wash an EZ-100 tanned cape above 180 degrees Fahrenhiet. I can't vouch for all syntans, but I know EZ-100 reacts that way. Its a way of reassuring your customer he was getting a high quality product. The other aspect I'd emphazise, is the tanned cape's longevity. I'd always say - this EZ-100 cape will probably outlive you and me both!

By the way - that 180 Degrees Fahranhiet I refered to is the temperature at which the tanning agent loses its chemical bond to the skin. It's called the shrink Temperature by Leather Tanners. Chrome tanned leathers usually have a Shrinkage Temperature of 212 degrees Fahranhiet. Sometimes even higher, if they retan the skin. However, Chrome is not a good Taxidermy tan - but a great leather for clothes and accessories.

2. Bow Man

Bow Man New Member

I haven't been tanning to long tried about three different brands.All have worked but I have done several backskins now all have been a lot of work breaking and not the color leather I would have liked them to be.Everything I was reading was about trubond 1000b ordered some never try any thing else again great product.Could not have been more pleased nice white leather with minimal breaking.Looks like it was done by a tannery.Also got the pickle and degreaser and the 1000 for my capes (haven't tried yet).But I know I am sold on TRUBOND 1000B.

3. Mike_Siew

Mike_Siew New Member

I'm confused of the Trubond paint-ons. There is Trubond 1000 and 1000B. What's the difference? If I have a raw deer full size skin, what should I used? Thanks for any reply.

4. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

TruBond B is meant for wall hangers and hides you want to keep soft and not mount.