1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Advice needed on tumbler!!

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Andersoncustomtaxidermy, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Seen lots of homemade tumblers but I can't seem to come up with a motor to propel it any ideas on what can be turned into a useable motor? Any advice would be appreciated

2. Dogsteaks

Dogsteaks New Member

I see dudes riding around on bikes they've fixed with lawnmower motors over here. Kinda loud though..

3. New Joe

New Joe New Member

old washing machine motor maybe?

4. Birdman537

Birdman537 New Member

try a old ceiling fan motor.

5. Dogsteaks

Dogsteaks New Member

Go old fashioned and use a bike + bike chain and get a nephew to run it for $5 ahhaha
    I'm not helpful, lol. Maybe a weedwhacker? kinda loud though. Not sure how strong a ceiling fan motor would be but that sounds good.

6. jake7719

jake7719 Well-Known Member

Get a old dryer. If it is electric disconnect the power to the electric heating coils and rewire the motor with a 110 plug, if a gas dryer disconnect the power to the "pilot". Fill the holes in the drums with calking and cover the lint filter hole with some sheet metal. You can even still use the timer.
    Old washers work great to spin the water out hides. You just have to make some counter weights. I have a few plastic bottles of different sizes filled with water to use as counter weights.

7. Thanks for the advice guys! Shouldn't be to hard to find

8. let me know if you got all the photos that I shared in your email about the home made tumbler

9. I did thank you very much

10. 30rpm gear motor from Grainger. Is what I got.

11. WayneP

WayneP New Member

Jake, Should you remove the tumbling fins inside for a smooth round interior? Not sure if those blades would cause damage.

12. jake7719

jake7719 Well-Known Member

I didn't and it works fine for me.

13. boss400

boss400 Member

TRY A BAR B Q GRILL MOTOR TURNS 16 RPM ONLY ABOUT $

14. sewing machine servo motor, lots of power, adjustable speed, reversible. Just have to figure out a "switch" mechanism as they are designed for a foot treddle. They run about 100-140$ on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/CONSEW-CS1000-NEW-3-4-HP-SERVO-MOTOR-110-VOLT-FOR-INDUSTRIAL-SEWING-MACHINE-/321073223526?pt=BI_Sewing_Machines&hash=item4ac1749766

15. quest

quest Member

Utah
    Bill Graves use to sell a diagram of how to build one. I think Research Mannikins might still sell plans.

16. whitetail2711

whitetail2711 New Member

ifyou have a grangers near you you can get the motor and reduction gear from them, same motors that they put on the pressure tanners , thats where they come from

17. Harbor Freight and get a cement mixer. I was trying to build one myself and stumbled upon the already assembled mixer. I bought it for $200.00 changed the metal paddles out with 2X4's made a lid and away I went. It works great for deer capes. I can't use it on anything big, but for deer it's perfect. The RPM's are 15 to 18. Depending on the load. If anything else you could buy the mixer and use the motor.