1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First bear please feel free to critique

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by New Joe, Feb 5, 2013.

1. New Joe

New Joe New Member

Alot of first on this one...First bear, first open mouth, first bear tanning.

only my sixth mount and I am just a hobbist.

Attached Files:

2. New Joe

New Joe New Member

three more pics...not a great cameraman

Attached Files:

3. New Joe

New Joe New Member

no comments at all? I am all ears...I know I have alot to learn.

4. tommy70

tommy70 New Member

Lookin Great Bud..keep up the great work..and keep looking at referances if your not sure..they are your best friend

5. Great job on the mouth! the only thing i would change is the expression on his face. I had this problem on a mountain lion rug. it really is hard to show anger on the face. (im a hobbyest too)

6. jake7719

jake7719 Well-Known Member

Just because the mouth is open it doesn't have to be a "angry" bear. Looks nice for your first bear.

7. Badgerland

Badgerland Quality taxidermy & quality deer capes.

looks pretty good. The ears might not quite be the same heigth on the sides of the head, & the nose seems to be a black blob in the pics. Check your live pics for reference & look closely at the color variations of the nose pads & inside the nostrils.
    Layering your colors on the nose pad helps give it some depth.
    Keep up the good work.

8. New Joe

New Joe New Member

thanks badgerland for the tips. Painting always seems to whip me. I also do a little woodcarving, and I can never ever get the painting right!

9. Badgerland

Start with your light colors. White, then flesh, gray, red?, brown, charcoal, black etc. as needed.

Always spray lightly & it will progress with each color you layer on. Trust your instincts & "reference pics", & remember that the clear coat will make the colors lock together & pop with depth. It just takes practice. Fish are great for practicing on, you can keep cleaning off an extra fish mount to get more practice painting.

Wood carving is slightly different due to the paint wanting to soak in to the wood. You may want to get a base layer for that. Search the forums for wood carving.

10. New Joe

New Joe New Member

thanks for the tips. I have yet to learn how to use a airbrush. All the painting so far has been done by hand.

11. Badgerland

for using a paintbrush, it looks pretty good. I thought you used an airbrush. Wow.
    Stick with it, you can only get better.

12. FeatherHorn

FeatherHorn New Member

eyes need more work. looks like the skin is pulled back too far

Attached Files:

13. FeatherHorn

FeatherHorn New Member

ears appear to be set too far mack on the head as well

14. New Joe

New Joe New Member

I noticed the way the eyes look also. I kinda thought it was because it was such a small bear and kinda made the eyes look farther back. The ears are difficult to me. guess i messed those up also.
    thanks for the help