1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bleach polarbear

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by munk, Feb 5, 2013.

1. munk

munk Member

Hi

I am going to fullmount a polarbear , the polarbear skin is about 10 years old ,and Its very Nice and white.
    But the polarbear skin have a Brown Discoloration of fur of one of the legs ,size of a Big hand.
    Its really a shame :(
    Does anyone know if it is possible to bleach the stain ??And what can I efektivt bleach with?
    I hope someone Can help me?

Thanks
    Mikkel

2. phoenix-cry

phoenix-cry Active Member

Go to the tutorial section and type in 'whitening sheep', there is a good white fur tutorial there.

3. munk

munk Member

Many Thanks

4. I would be very CAREFULL about bleaching a polar bear. Their fur is not white, It is translucent, bleach will tend to make it yellow looking. I would experiment with stain removers first to exhaust all options. I would only use peroxide as a last resort in my opinion. I'm sure you will get several opinions though.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

X2 BIGTIME

6. I have a polar bear to re-rug and I will have to whiten also. My plan is wipe the fur with a mixture of ammonia and water to clean the fur of oils and dirt using a wash rag. Once dried I will use 3% hydrogen peroxide and Mag carb. I will apply in a small test spot on the legs, let it dry, and brush the mag carb out. We'll see how it goes. If it doesn't work I won't do anything else and he will have to live with it.

7. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

I cleaned and made much whiter a Polar bear using Naptha and then spreading corn cob grit all over it and wiping that down and out. It worked well.

8. James, Naptha comes in various properties. Can you explain how you did this?