1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mâché for rebuilding around skull cap?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by mod7rem, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Do you guys recommend mâché for rebuilding around skull cap? On three sheep I just finished I used mâché on one, bondo on one and clay for one. The mâché was very easy to work with but once dried the surface wasn't very strong. It flaked easily and I'm not sure if there's enough surface structure for the paste to bond to. I find the bondo a lot harder to do a neat job with. Opinions? Thanks.

2. I use a product called "FIX-IT" and mix in a little plaster. You can get FIX-IT at your local building supply

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

People have used plasters and mache's for ages, but PERSONALLY, I prefer Bondo. Still, you can't use Bondo alone. You need Cabosil - a silicone powder that adds body to Bondo. If you mix it properly, it becomes a putty that you can spatula around your horns and antlers. As soon as you do, quickly cover it with a sheet of plastic freezer wrap (Saran wrap). Once in place, move the Bondo putty around like you want it and smooth it out through the plastic. When it cures you'll have a slick and smooth surface that rasps easily before it cures completely.

4. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

You can also use other fillers like sawdust, fiberglass etc.
    What I've been using is foam dust. I take a piece of foam and rasp it with a body file, collect the dust and add it to the bondo to the thickness I want, add the catalyst, mix and follow the steps George listed.

5. George

Some years back, I bought 5 pounds of it from Newton Supply (Epo-Grip). Do you know how much Cabosil is in 5 pounds??????????? Van Dykes carries it in quarter, half, and 10 pound containers. Half a pound is $11 and will last most people years. Still, if you want 10 pounds, it's $162.

6. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

Rough it in with bondo then finish it wit potters clay. Works great

7. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

I actually used bondo and added mache to the bondo. It worked great, it had a clay like consistency and molded nice.

8. Thanks guys, I am starting another sheep and I will try bondo again with some filler added. I also like the sounds of using the plastic wrap.

9. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

Keep a rasp handy. Right when it starts kicking, it's a great time to shape any place that needs it.

10. Today I prepped a form and skull cap of a stone sheep using bondo thickened up with foam dust, then used plastic wrap to evenly move it around and smooth it out. It worked great, thanks for the tips.

11. I use plaster and vermiculite, works a trip

Cam
    Down Under
    Australia

12. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

I just use the clay McKenzie sells, the 25lb block, works fine and no mixing anything, just apply after the cape is on, blend into ear butts, done.

13. verne

verne Well-Known Member

X-2 on bondo ;) :)

14. tommy70

tommy70 New Member

I use bondo for reiforcing under skull cap.and critter clay for filling in everything else..thats just me though.

15. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I sometimes use bondo with paper pulp mixed in to lighten it. The bondo definitely is stronger than mache. However, I usually use the fix-it all that someone mentioned. I mix paper pulp in with this as well. This is very easy to smooth out. Just spray with water and smooth before it sets. For anything that needs strength, especially elk, I never use this.

16. George

I guess I miss the logic of using Papier mache with a polyester. Neither product reaches its potential.

17. Joes wildlife artistry

Joes wildlife artistry New Member

Whats wrong with Plaster of Paris, It's always worked great for me.

18. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

To me, bondo is a slam dunk. Its easy to use, kicks fast, shapes easy, hardens hard, and holds its shape if and when I need to pop off the skull from the form, and also, it holds its form well while adjusting skin around it. I cant think of any downside. I personally do not add anything to it, and to me, cabosil or microballoons scare me to death, health-wise. George is right on thickening with it, but you HAVE TO use a respirator and ventilation, and I would NOT do it in a shop attached to the home with kids around...

19. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

For me, it was the only thing at arms length when I thought about adding something to the bondo after I had just mixed the hardner in.