1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Hudson, Feb 7, 2013.

1. bearrug48

bearrug48 Active Member

Re: what is with all this FREEZING

Do what works best for you.You are the only one that is responsible for what you are doing.
    There are many different ways to take care of skins,and everyone has differing opinions.

2. Re: what is with all this FREEZING

Hire someone if you have to but get it fleshed and salted as quick as possible. If you have to wait one day to get to it that is far better than freezing and thawing it out later just to flesh it.

3. Re: what is with all this FREEZING

X2

4. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

maybe im dumb but freezing after fleshing seems back assards to me. cape and freeze is a ok if you take in a bunch at once an untanned cape should only be frozen and thawed once. ONCE! flesh and salt the thing ! some seem afraid to do that i have salted capes and left hanging for months until im ready to rehydrate and pickle

5. paul e

paul e New Member

i hate ticks
    dead ticks are much better friends
    and a tone of things showing up at once leaves only a few logical choices
    if you dont like logic by all means do what you want and reap the outcome
    take off head ,stoprot,freeze till later
    easy breezy logical that is

6. DRW

DRW New Member

How long does it take to thaw in this brine you speak of ? I just let them sit out over night on a table. How much salt/bacteriacide do you add ? If it is safer to thraw in a brine then a will try it. I am just a part timer so i have to skin and freeze until i get time to work on it. If anyone has input on this please let me know.

7. DRW

DRW New Member

Thanks Hudson for your input on this. How much salt would you use in a brine per gallon of water to thaw a deer cape ?

8. DRW

DRW New Member

Thank you sir for your input on this.

9. Re: what is with all this FREEZING

At the rate of salt that Hudson suggests you will be virtually using a liquil salt bath after which the skins will need to be rehydrated . I use a thawing bath with a salinity of 12~15% with 80 ml of bacteriacide per 100 litres water , the bacteriacide that I use is a phenyl base, if anyone wants the specs &usage rates pm me with your email address and if I can find it I will send the info to you. I find that this thawing bath is the best way to deal with frozen, unturned, unsplit capes, with the last 8 weeks being hot you cannot try to thaw a froze cape without the outside going rotton before the inside is thawed, temps o 34 ~38 by day & 22 (these are centigrade , x 1.8 then add 32 to get to US temps.) When you have a water buff cape that weighs 70 lb it is the only way to thaw it safely and quickly. I have done boar capes this way and also dry salted, to me the green froze undried are easier to shave when pickled than those that have been salt dried .

10. Re: what is with all this FREEZING

???? Maybe because the colligen fibres havnt been glued together by the fat drying , particularly with pigs .

11. Re: what is with all this FREEZING

Over summer I can expect to see temps up around 113 *f in my shed, I have sambar capes exposed to the same temps but it is only the pigs that become really hard to shave , once they get to around 1/4" they are OK to handle but the remains of the shield is really really tough to shave if it has been dried till hard.

12. DRW

DRW New Member

13. Re: what is with all this FREEZING

You are correct with the fact that all skins should be salted, but when they come to me with ears lips & nose not done and frozen how else do you deal with them? I have also received them like this but salted, the only way to turn ears that have been salted from the outside is to rehydrate them first, I find the only way to educate some of the people the send skins to me like this is to relieve them of some currency for my hastles!

14. Re: what is with all this FREEZING

Do multiple thawings and re-freezings have a bad effect on a tanned cape?

15. Re: what is with all this FREEZING

Depends on your definition of multiple. Freezing and thawing a tanned cape two or three times will not hurt it. I have never tried more than that. When you thaw a tanned cape you still need to make sure you are not letting it set around in a bag in warm temps.

16. blairartworks

blairartworks New Member

We freeze all of our cape here at the shop in tell we have the time to start fleshing and salting. For one freezing kills all of the ticks. After taking our measurements and completed with the skinning, we roll the capes up flesh side out so the hide is exposed to the cold air of the freezer. Starting at the head and rolling to the brisket and being sure to tuck the ears in because they will freezer burn the fastest, especially mule deer.
    When we do thaw our capes, we put them in a salt water bath with about a half of a pound of salt per gallon of water along with about a 1/2 oz of citric acid per gallon of water, we will also add a cup of simple green in about 30 gallons of water, this bath will thaw about 6 to 8 capes. Using a slat water bath allows the entire cape to thaw out at the same temperature and has no warm spots with an open air thaw. If you have any concern with a cape or capes slipping when poor handling before freezing, add about 1/2 oz of aluminum sulfate, this will help set the hair and stop slipping! Once thawed, we pull the capes out of the bath and let them drip for about an hour, in a cool spot and out of direct sun light. Also with thawing in a salt water bath, this helps the salt penetrate into the hide and will make for a better tan and easier to rehydrate for pickling and tanning.

17. Flighty

Flighty New Member

If you have a ton of hides all of a sudden -- too many to salt all at once -- and you put them in the freezer, is there a max time they can be in there before bad things happen?
    I work with smaller pelts (coons, skunks, muskrats, the occasional mink or bobcat, etc) and tend to get huge lots at auctions all at once. I currently have quite a few in my freezer that have been in there for a week. All of them are double-bagged and my freezer has super low temps, and I am able to thaw them very quickly by setting them on top of a fan that whisks the cold away. They're usually thawed in 45 minutes at most because of how thin the skin is.

What would be the max amount of time they could "safely" be in the freezer, or is there one? What are possible consequences of putting them in instead of salting right away, or leaving them in too long?

Thanks.

18. Re: what is with all this FREEZING

A few weeks to a few months will not hurt them. With small animals you can put them in ziplock freezer bags which will help protect them. Freezer burn/freeze drying is your concern, so get the air out and sill them well. You will be fine.

I recently did a bear that a guy's wife brought me. She wanted to suprise him. The bear had been in their freezer for 6 years. I expected it to be a freeze dried piece of jerky. Luckily it was bagged well. It came out just fine.

19. Re: what is with all this FREEZING

Unbagged boars head, 3 1/2 year in the freezer , only had the very edge get freezer burnt, about 1/4" , may have been different if it had been skun out and it could dry from the flesh side .

20. buckcrazy

buckcrazy New Member

How long do u salt ur deer hides? I usually skin them and split everything and salt them down then I hang them for 6-8 hrs or until they stop draining then put them in the pickle after washing them n cold water. I haven't had any problems yet but is there a reason for letting them dry until they are hard and then rehydrating them ?? I have got a few hides that I bought that were salt dried that seem to produce a better tan but I really don't understand why.