1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Damn, Is this one really that bad ?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by delta hunter, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

Re: Re: Damn, Is this one really that bad ?

EXCELLENT post 3 bears. If everyone quit their job who wasn't the world's best at it we will get nowhere in life!

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

2. I would gladly pay 200$ to have my bird mounted by you. I think for the work you did on this bird 200$ is a steal. keep up the good work

3. pinoak

pinoak New Member

I will use your analogy. On a scale of 1-10, I give the mount a 5 with the poor quality picture, at a cost of $200.00 dollars. Now, I could receive a 10 for $325-50.
    Yes, I understand economics. Everyone cannot afford a Bentley. So, you are correct. There is a place for this quality of work.

To the taxidermist who completed this work, I apologize for making the statement your work stinks. To be fare it is mediocre.

And I will leave this post with this comment. Painting the feet of a Widgeon yellow is a joke and none of you that call yourself a taxidermist should ever defend it.

4. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

wigeon whacker, i hope your whitetail taxidermist doesn't read this post. If he does, you may be getting a call telling you to come back over and getting your deerhead so that you can take it to someone else.

5. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

Waterfowl can not be sold and the client most probably needs and wants his money back. He got what he paid for, its a decent enough and nice mount and he comes across as an ass. He is going to trash talk you no matter what. . I would tell him to pound sand and then never have anything else to do with him and put it out of my mind.

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    This post is about a Pintail. Did I miss a picture of a wigeon? Nobody was defending, on this thread any way, any miscolored wigeon feet. Stay on topic here. I cannot speak for all, but most, I bet were hunters prior to becoming taxidermists. Most do appreciate the fact that your trophy is important to you , no one is saying it shouldn't be. If I could get a perfect bird for $325 to $350 I would raise my prices a tad and have that person do all my birds because I am not that far off and I sure as hell wouldn't rate mine that high. I think you want champagne on a beer budget.

7. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

I think the FIRST paragraph on the FIRST post sums it up for me.........what is not to understand here? Delta suggested that he have someone else mount it, customer insisted anyway after numerous e-mails, mount was finished for the agreed price within the KNOWN standards that delta possessed.....no smoke no mirrors....end of friggin story.....geeezz.......

8. daniel

daniel New Member

HHHHHMMMMM........POPCORN..... ;D ::) ::)..........D

9. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I sure dont know where some of you come off, but it borders on pathetic. Reading comprehension doesnt seem to be a strong point here either. Debating skills? No skill. I simply cannot believe that some taxidermists egos are so fragile that theyll just about throw each other under the bus. In a similar post, I wrote...

"You know what, a couple of you really take the cake. Ill set aside my mod status to say this...who in the hell do you think you are? Some of you guys are so shallow that youll just undermine a fellow taxidermist, just to look like youre a somebody. At least a few of you had the balls to say what it was, and support it as is, without feeling the need to be judge and jury. I dont know, I just dont. I am so glad I am not like a few of you, and its not just here either. Your crap attitudes shine on other posts too.

Anyone with a thumb, finger could smooth those wing tips and tail edges, and take a needle and lift a few breast feathers smooth. Maybe eorlando shouldnt have to do so, ok, I get that, but why must a few of you just feel that need to chime in and criiticize a fellow taxidermist?

Theres some very good taxidermists in here that would never think of commenting to the negative towards another taxidermist, just because you dont, its a class thing. I see crappy work in here all the time, yet I dont critique them, even when they ask I typically decline. How we undermine one another in here makes me sick. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Just remember, one of these days it may just be YOU and YOUR work someone decides to critique in here..."

...that was the other day, on a similar thread...and Ill stand by those statements. Simply put, theres an unwritten rule in business especially taxidermy...a professional doesnt run down another artists work. He shouldnt need to, if hes any good. And when a customer, who isnt involved posts his opinion, just leave it be, its just his opinion. These kinds of posts ARE why many dont come here much anymore.

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Pinoak, are you also a Pinhead as well. I asked a specific question: Are you a taxidermist. You answered: "No". Next question, if you AREN'T a taxidermist, just exactly what criteria are YOU using to determine that this man's work is a "5"? You simply can't stop strutting your ego, can you? REAL TAXIDERMISTS WHO DO THIS FOR A LIVING know that you're FOS and this man gave you a #10 bird for what you paid. If he added in the aggravation and the bullspit you've plastered over this site, he gave you a #25. It's a shame you didn't leave a real name so the other guys here would know you and avoid ever taking any work from you.

11. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

...that was the other day, on a similar thread...and Ill stand by those statements. Simply put, theres an unwritten rule in business especially taxidermy...a professional doesnt run down another artists work. He shouldnt need to, if hes any good. And when a customer, who isnt involved posts his opinion, just leave it be, its just his opinion. These kinds of posts ARE why many dont come here much anymore. Quote

Understood. However, if that were my bird, and someone posts that its crap, not worth $5, I'd hope some of my fellow taxidermists would go to bat for me too.

12. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Go to bat FOR, thats fine. Attack and degrade it, not so much.

13. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Agree. If a customer on here gives an opinion of a mount, fine his opinion. When one tells a competent taxidermist on here that he shouldn't even be in business, I think that warrants a response.

14. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Bill, is there more to this that I didn't see? I reread it and I didn't see anyone throwing the OP under the bus other than the two wannabe experts aka potential customers. I wish people would handle this like adults and not bring it here, but it is life. I am sure you have heard this before, you can have 1000 happy customers and nobody hears about you but have one unhappy customer and everyone hears about it. Have fun with this guys, I am off for a long weekend of ice fishing.

15. verne

verne Well-Known Member

If you want one that looks alive , buy a camera and take up bird watching :eek:

16. falco

falco Trapping is fun

sorry guys to jump back to the first line,,, but
    Delta Hunter !!! you do a duck mount for $200 ????????????? ??? with that scenery and that kind of a decent mount ?
    How much is a loaf of bread in your town ?.. man we cant put food on the table with that kind of money here, I should move down south.
    I dont know if there is anything on the list here that can be done for that price.

17. Alan B

Alan B Member

Wow kind of glad I came into the end of this my Momma always said....if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all! But sometimes I can't help myself :D pinoak feel free to remove me from your potential list as well with an attitude like yours I can do without customers like you and Wacker well........ ::)
    its amazing you two can have that much opinion off a photo that is really hard to tell the quality of the mount I might not like the pose but the Bird itself as Nancy said (whom I would take her opinion over you too Numb Nu... ) any day is fine! Just because the mount isn't appealing to you doesn't mean it is crap!

18. I read this whole thread, and spent about 10 minutes looking back and forth between the mount and reference. I don't see how any one could call it bad work. Considering some of the stuff out there, you could make a better argument that this mount is great.

I looked at three things, anatomy, grooming and habitat.
    Yes, the anatomy is off a little, but it doesn't appear to be horribly off. The feet are not on its chest, and the wings are not magically attached to its tail. There are no awkward bends in the neck.
    The bird appears to be groomed fairly well. It is hard to really tell from the photo, but it doesn't look like it has down sticking out anywhere.
    The habitat is good. It fits the bird, not too big, not too small. It seems to have good flow and the colors match well. It is a nice, simple accent.

At $200, I think it is a bargain. From what I can tell, I think it would still be fine at $300. I would be somewhere around $100 just for the base. So we really aren't even talking about a $200 duck. We're talking about a $100 duck. At $100 for that duck, the OP's client is walking away with a gift.

19. boss400

boss400 Member

My dear old dad always told me son keep your mouth shut and people won't know how stupid you are

20. TRAPPERJACK274

TRAPPERJACK274 New Member

All I can say is wow! For commercial work there is no room for complaints on that piece its a beautiful bird from what I see. Unfortunately there are those that bring these problems to our door. I did notice he sais price dosent matter in one of his post but half his money back would make him happy. yeah right! I also noticed he says he understands the anatomy of the animals he hunts, now that's a first I get 2 ducks just alike before I compete with a bird one to skin completely for reference and another to skin and use for the mount, and after doing that I have a real hard time getting the anatomy right while looking at a skinned carcass. guess that's why im not anywhere near the best bird guy. maybe if I could understand there anatomy while shooting them I would be where I needed to be! Oh well keep the good work and hate you had to deal with this guy.