1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Ear Issue, need a solution

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Bruledrift, Feb 10, 2013.

  1. Bruledrift

    Bruledrift Active Member

    334
    34
    Here's the issue, I had a buck with one ear that was relay damaged. It was punctured in the middle of the ear and ripped angling up and out toward the top of the ear. I sewed it and had to cut down a large earliner to make it fit the ear. Both sides were evened and I used epoxy earliner glue to glue them in. This was last week, now the one side is perfectly glued down, but, the damaged side is dry all around, but not the inner low spots in the ear. it has drummed up while still damp in the inner portion of the ear. I have been using smaller sized earliners cut down and placed inside the ear for carding to hold the skin evenly against the liner. Has anyone ever deliberately sliced the inner ear skin lengthwise down these low spots and epoxy sculpted the seam. I am at a loss on what to do.
     
  2. tommy70

    tommy70 New Member

    i would use something that will allow the wet spot to breath and dry better...you can get these sheets of plastic that has hole or squares in them,i forget what it is called but you can trim to the shape u need bud..hope this helped.. ny 1st deer i messed when i was splitting..so i had to replace with a totally new inside and overlapped around backside with alot of glue and matched up and worked great with no issues..since then i take my time lol
     

  3. michiganmom

    michiganmom Realistic Antler Repair, Re-stain, Restore

    X2, its hardware cloth. Any pictures?
     
  4. Bruledrift

    Bruledrift Active Member

    334
    34
    I've used that in the past. I actually heated them and formed them to a earliner. I wonder if I cut pieces of pipe insulation foam and pinned into the low spots would work. Neadless to say, I'm not realy happy with this one.
     
  5. I have a couple times. By thd sounds of it your large ear still trimmed down isnt quite what you needed. Remember you can trim the edge but the bottom of the ear is still set up for a large ear canal. Splitting it an epoxying it might not seem like the best way but its going to save a ton of time in the long run.

    My last deer i actually did this with and its drying now. It had a medium ear, no need to trim it but the ear skin at tbe cartilage bowl was tiny as could be. No way it would have ever stayed so i just put a slit in it and moved on.

    Make sure to put it on the upper side of the ear if you can. Also when you epoxy the ear you can let it set almost to where its cured and push sandpaper into it. Pull the sandpaper off and it should have a slight skin texture. That way it will be hard to notice even if your customer does look in the ear.
     
  6. Bruledrift

    Bruledrift Active Member

    334
    34
    Thanks Rudy, BTW, that Epply Liner system of yours is the bomb. This particular mount isn't one, but, this is the last time without using them. What a time saver and a detail saver.
     
  7. Bruledrift

    Bruledrift Active Member

    334
    34
    Another BTW while on the earliner subject, I like my idea on using the next size smaller earliner for carding. But, this gave me a duh moment. I am going to drill a series of small holes all over the earliners for air surculation.

    Rudy, I just sliced the skin and pused it down against the epoxy. I think it will work great. Thanks again.
     
  8. huntnut78

    huntnut78 Member

    466
    0
    I have sliced the drummed part and epoxied it down, then blended with apoxie-sculpt, works fine as long as you feather the edges and blend the paint well. Use the white sculpt and you can get away with less paint. Like Rudy said, is not ideal but better than a drummed ear.

    posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
     
  9. Mr.T

    Mr.T Active Member

    yep, just split it open and glue it down.
     
  10. Bruledrift

    Bruledrift Active Member

    334
    34
    It looks like it should work perfact. Didn't like the idea of cutting skin like that on purpose, but like said, it's better than a drummed out ear. Thanks all.