1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

shaver

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Rush, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Rush

Rush New Member

I am looking for a 12 inch fleshing (shaving) machine. I operate a small tannery and prep business and do alot of flat hides, and think a 12 inch would help alot but am having a hard time finding one. Im not talking about a round knife, have one and its gettin to be old news doing buffalo and steer hides with it.

2. Not exactly sure what you are asking...

You are looking for a recommendation on a shaver? Try the Capemaster its designed for erginomical use. Its what I use for all of my hides(most of which are flat), but it is the classic rolled edge spinning blade. I do not know of any other "shavers" exept perhaps what is used in the leather and buckskin industry, but those are in excess of 8 feet across. Maybe you could clarify and we could help you more.

Thanks

Shelby

3. Rush

Rush New Member

What Im looking for is used in the leather industry.Its like a industrial shaver. It takes a forktruck to move the thing (For real). You lay your hide on rollers push the foot peddal and it shaves 12 inchs at a time. Can do a large buffalo in about 30 minutes.

4. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

What your looking for is called a Turner machine. If your not good with one, you can destroy skins very easily. Not near as forgiving as a shaving machine.

5. Rush

Rush New Member

Thats the name I was looking for. Ive used one a couple of times, I dont think I did to bad, I was more worried about gettin cought up in the thing than wrecking the hide. The tannery I work at has one and its used alot and saves time. Now that my tannery is getting busyer Im thinking about investing in one, if I can find one cheap enough,even if I have to do some work to it, it'll pay for itself

6. JohnW.

JohnW. Guest

I'm not sure what that Turner machine would cost,but you can buy a Dakota v from Van Dykes for $ 669.

7. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

Rush, Ill go ahead and let every one know, we are not talking about a fleshing machine, as most on here know it. We are talking about a machine that probablly weighs close to a ton. A big nasty brute, that can take your arm off, and turn it into ground meat. These old dinosaurs are pretty valuable. I cant see paying less than $10,000 for one, and at that price, it probablly will still not be ready for business. We have a few, but they aint for sale. Its a competition thing. Good luck finding one. They are so old, we have to have parts custom made, for replacements, cause they are not made anymore. That machine sure makes life easier, for shavers. Who wants to pull a 150lb giraffe cape across the knife a thousand time? NOT ME!

8. Rush

Rush New Member

I just missed one here in Michigan, for $2500. Your right about it being nasty, I lose sleep the niight before I have to use it, but it sure saves time on those big hides. If you ever want too get rid of one of yours let me know.

9. Laurier

Laurier Active Member

I think international fur dressers bought one from pissing first nation fur dressers, and may want to sell it
    they are in Winnipeg Manitoba.

10. cold trapper

cold trapper age 15 a trapperman w/7 prime rats!

Good luck Rush. i heard they are a must for doing zebras. and other big african game. so if your getting some african big game in you probably really need one. i think moyle got one about 3 years ago. or so i heard. they did a nice job on a zebra for me.
    good luck. and keep us posted.

11. qflesher

qflesher New Member

Hi,
    For those of you who are often asked to tan very heavy hides we have a new system that address's this very problem. With our system a young women could do it without straining herself. If interested call me at 1-800-567-5080
    Gerry

12. Rush,
    What tannery do you operate? I would be careful doing buff on one unless the burrs have been combed out first. Even then, it won't get much more than a layer. The biggest drawback besides burr holes would be the tiny pieces of fleshing that will entangle in the wool. That stuff can make a real mess. Better off to stick with a beam and drawknife for thick hides.

Shelby,
    You mean to tell us that the tanning school never taught ya'll about 12" fleshing machines? And there you were heading off to Texas, home of the cowhide, to start a tannery. Seems like a chapter needs to be added to the old textbook back at school. ???

13. Shelby,
    When you get a chance, google "shaving machines leather" and see what you find out. There are many types of shaving tools/machines that are used in this industry. From the old drawknife to the round knife to cylindrical knives ranging from a machine capable of running rabbit hides through to the large Rizzi's that you reference. I have a 60" flesher made for sheep hides. The Turner can do a range of hides and capes as well as the Aulson. Then you have the splitters that do everything from seal to cattle.

14. Dave,

I never planned to do large hides like beef on a huge scale So far I have taken in only 4 beef hides this year and many, many smaller ones like deer and sheep. Not sure where the mis information came from but I am in Washington State not Texas.... I knew of the larger machine but not of its smaller cousins. I will have to do a search like you suggested. When I started this I knew I had limited shop space and figured till I needed to move to a larger building I would use the tools I was taught to. And for me big hides are not a problem with the wheel shavers even though I'm 5'1 , 100 lbs. I suppose that if i did 30 or more per year it would be worth while to invest in larger equipment. Since I am the only employee and mostly only take work locally from private individuals, not taxidermists I didn't feel I would get very many large hides, but many smaller ones like deer, elk, goat, sheep, coyote and furs. And such has been the case.

Good luck on finding a turner machine if they are no longer made like oldshaver said.

Thanks

Shelby

15. Sorry Shelby,
    We Texans tend to think of the Promised Land being the Lone Star State.

16. Yes alot of confusion surrounds my business name. We spell it without the "d" so it is more of a "land of Promise" Not "The Promised Land" Up here in Okanogan there is another ranch who spells theirs "Promised Land Ranch" and it gets people all confused because they also raise Highland Cattle but are located about 70 miles away from us.

Don't worry it happens.

Thanks
    Shelby

17. qflesher

qflesher New Member

Hi Shelby,
    You do not have the quantity of work for a very expensive machine ( in the hundreds of thousands) We have a patent on a machine for heavy hides if interested give me a call: 1-800-567-5080
    Gerry

18. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

Gerry, hundreds of thousands? I dont think she is thinking about buying a splitter! Hundreds would mean 2 or more. I cant see any peice of tanning equiptment costing $200,000, especially, not for a Taxidermy tannery. Lets quit beating around the bush, what do you got, and what does it do? Not being smart, just curious.