1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Finishing without an airbrush

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by mtbehm, Feb 11, 2013.

1. mtbehm

mtbehm New Member

I tried to search everywhere but I could not find anything on finishing without an airbrush. Is it possible, what do you use? I mostly just need to finish a bobcat nose as it turned way off color as it dried. Thanks, Matt

2. bearrug48

bearrug48 Active Member

What do you think they did before the air brush was invented? Get yourself a few brushes and some paints and start experimenting with blending colors on a piece of board or hard paper. You might be surprised at how soon you will be able to make the colors you want. remember less paint is usually better that using more.If you use too much it will look all globby and thick. you want to see the details in that nose.The nose should look rough not smooth.Remember that in
    nature things are not just one solid color.The nose color will have slight variations of colors mixed together. I hope you can see what I mean. practice and then do your nose. I hope that this will give you some ideas and confidence to try it.

3. CannonQ

CannonQ New Member

4. There are few different awesome tutorials on how to do finish work with oils and such

5. mtbehm

mtbehm New Member

I guess thats more what I was looking for is what to use and how to go about doing it. Didnt know if I need to water don paint so its not so thick etc...? I will search for using oils, I didnt know to search that. Thanks for the help, Matt

6. Matt

Matt Active Member

Check the tutorials, Eddieb has one on oils.

7. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

Use a sponge, it is alot easier to blend with.

8. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Here's one I did on deer noses. Can use the same basics ( paint layering) on pretty much any nose.

http://blueribbontaxidermy.com/ez-nose-tutorial/

9. reddogloki

reddogloki New Member

Very nice tutorial Pescado.