1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

alternative methods of face fleshing

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Rob179, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Rob179

Rob179 New Member

Hope some one can help me, Im sick of cutting my fingers to ribbons with scalpel blades when fleshing the faces of cats ! I understand some of you use grinding wheels or abrasive disks ? is this right or do you use some other method less lethal than slashing, Ok i accept the art is in the use of knives but im not as dexterous as some of you full time guys ! If you do have a method as described or even different please share it with me, I would appreciate a good description of the tool you use so i can find it on the net or maybe reference to a web page ! Help my hands !!!! its hurting just typing and i cant see the keyboard for blood !!!
  2. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

i never use scalpel to flesh faces (although if you do you get very good at sewing up holes) - i turn e'thing with scalpel and then flesh with abrasive wheel on grinder - 10 minutes tops on bobcats

3. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Although I use a sharp knife to split the lips, eyes and nose all my fleshing of small mammals from fox size down is done on my bird fleshing wire wheel.I really think that I could even do the splitting of these parts with the bird flesher. Good luck...JL
  4. Wolf

Wolf AHOOoooooo!

Scissors... I split and turn with the scapel and use a med-small pair of Friskers, or whatever the brand is, to flesh the face. They have all sorts of different styles and what not, get a set that is comfortable for your hand because your hand will cramp fast with a cheap pair. Once you get the hang of it you can flesh out the face pretty fast and no holes to sew in the cat's skin or yours ;D. Been their, done that...
  5. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

All I ever use is a scapel, a good sharp one. Cut less holes with a sharp one than a dull one. Have you tried a fleshing horn? I actually use an old wood rolling pin that's tapered on both ends. I use it for all of my mammals.
  6. EJ

EJ Proud Member of: Unaffiliated, Free Agent

I always do my finish fleshing with a small pair of Scissors. Like everyone else I do my turning and splitting with a scalpel.
  7. Brett

Brett New Member

When you guys say a abrasive wheel, do you mean a wire wheel?
  8. bill@hogheaven

bill@hogheaven New Member

Use a dremal tool with coarse sanding drums. Hold the skin over your index finger & sand away, quick, easy, & you can get it really thin.
  9. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

Thanks Bill for the dremel tip, it works great, I like it. and no cuts with it. ;D
  10. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

i use the abrasive wheel - not the wire wheel - i do turn lips with wire wheel
  11. Alex Sr

Alex Sr New Member

a 4" vitorinox pearing knife is the way to do it.
  12. hunterray2002

hunterray2002 http://www.finandfoto.com

wire wheel on a variable speed benchgrinder. you can do all your fleshing withg the wire wheel and even turn lips and clean up the facial area's with the stone wheel. it's what I do. I've tried the drum sanding wheel on the dremel and it clogs up to much for me. I've tried the scalpel and yes it works but not much on sewing more then I have to. I do everything on the benchgrinder with the wire wheel and stone wheel. Oh i forgot to mention as well you simply swap out wire wheels to a much softer wheel and run your speed down todo smaller game like fox and birds and so forth. variable speed is the way I chose. 3/4 hp to 1hp
  13. james lin

james lin Member

What's the "dermel tip"?
  14. bigfish90

bigfish90 New Member

I no longer do game but when I did I use a bench grinder with a variable speed and a course wheel on one end and a fine wheel on the other. A welding wheel works good for heavy work like deer capes etc. It has the batch of twisted wires. Practice on junk hides because you can burn through hide till you learn the touch. Also you need to set up a guard around it because fat and flesh will fly everywhere. When you get good at it you can to a deer cape in 10- 15 min and that includes turning the lips with the wheel.