1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Second to Nature (Dan Chase)

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by DogSoldierChick, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Any good or bad reviews on their forms? Considering one on my coyote mount...
    Any input on them greatly appreciated!

2. Light Rail Coyote

Light Rail Coyote Active Member

Just mounted a wolf on one of Dan's rug shells. It's a different can of worms than a life-size mount, but it worked out okay for me!

3. xtpoz

xtpoz New Member

I have used a few. I like them. I use a change out head from Ozark Woods.

[​IMG]

4. Tree Dog

Tree Dog New Member

Tn
    Save your time and money buy somewhere else. I just mounted a coon on one and it fought me the whole way. The eyes were misshaped and the lip line started off strong in the front then faded away to nothing. The foam was hard as a Rock and I could hardly get euro pins to go in it. I understand that they mass produced forms and maybe I got a bad one but I had to do some major form altering before I could even get the hide on the form. I feel like if I would have went with a mckenzies form or another company's form I wouldn't have had as many problems. Also it called for 14 mm eyes ordered the form to my measurements and the eyes weren't even close to being 14mm. This is just my 2 cents.

5. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

My only problem is that the foam is way to dense and very hard to work with, other than that if you are a competent taxidermist then everything else is an easy fix.

6. Daniel M.

Daniel M. Tongo, the best dog in the world. (Saarloos)

Ohio
    lol

7. AJH

AJH Member

I bought a Deer form years ago from Dan Chase. It was a hard turn pose. When you'd square up the body on the wall (brisket straight Down) the head was cocked sideways a bit, like a confused dog. The form had a twist to it. Good thing It was one of my firsts, or it might of upset me more.

8. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

will make a good taxidermist better by with the time spent fixing the forms
    will make a bad taxidermists even worse cause he won't know what to fix
    The best part IS if your using dry preserve they will fit.

9. Tree Dog

Tree Dog New Member

Tn
    I agree 100% with this. The from was for my first lifesized mount and I learned a lot about altering a form to make it work so that is one positive out of the ordeal I had with the form.

10. Thanks for the info. I want to do a pouncing coyote... I want it more straight back and leaping than the humped forms I've seen from others. I may just get the one from research or van dykes and straighten it. Im having one wet tanned, one dry tanned and using dry preservative on one. To see what I prefer. I have tons of coyotes. I worry about the dry preserve but everyone asks why. It's used by everyone here and the mounts seem to do well. I just wonder....

11. Tree Dog

Tree Dog New Member

Tn
    I've dry preserved every thing so far with out any problems. The only thin about dry preserving a hide is it does 100% of the shrinking while its on the form so you have to really babysit it once it's on there. While in the tanning solution the hide will shrink, so a tanned hide isn't as bad about shrinking while on the form or at least that's what I've read about tanning. Some one correct me if im wrong on this.

12. huntin_justin

huntin_justin Active Member

i notice that alot of forms are off from sided to side. one eye may be significantly higher than the other. lip line is not symmetrical., nose is crooked, etc... They should just put a block of foam where the head should be and let the individual carve out the head. But the bright side is when i use one I get alot of practice doing alterations.