1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Can you wash older tanned hides?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by RandyB423, Feb 12, 2013.

1. First time poster here. I have been through the archives and used about 8 different searches, and just can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for.

I have a flat Llama hide (mostly white) that was tanned about 10 years ago. It was a farm pet and when it died we skinned it and sent it to our taxidermist who then sent it to a tannery. We have no idea which tannery, or what method was used. We use the hide as a"chair throw" and over the years the hair has gotten pretty dirty. It is not very "soft" on the leather side, and the neck area is really stiff since the leather in that area is very thick.

My question is... Can we use a low PH horse shampoo and wash the thing? If we can, will it get even stiffer when it dries back out? Can we "break" it some during the drying process in order to make it softer than it is? Do we need to re-oil it after washing?

We just want to clean the fur/hair.

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Try woolite rug cleaner. I have done this on Llamas and other rugs with great success. As far as getting the skin wet, don't it may cause more trouble than you want.

3. Dogsteaks

Dogsteaks New Member

You can get older pelts/hides wet but you run the risk of having it fall apart in your hands. If you are unsure as to whether or not your pelt will be able to withstand a little bit of moisture (I'm assuming "horse shampoo" is something you just brush on?), you should soak a small corner of the hide in water and gently pull on that small piece, if it falls apart, I wouldn't risk getting it too wet.

4. Thanks for the responses. Glad I didn't put the steam cleaner on it.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire