1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

maceration issue

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by FurTrapper31, Feb 12, 2013.

1. FurTrapper31

FurTrapper31 New Member

I've been trying to macerate a deer skull. It's been about 3 weeks. I'm useing an aquarium heater but it's not keeping a consistant temperature thrughout the bucket of water. The water at the top is rughly 90 degrees but the temperature at the bottom is very cold. Any suggestions? Its in the smallest bucket I can find to cover the whole skull. I would like to use a large bucket to do multiple skulls in.

2. Dogsteaks

Dogsteaks New Member

Is it a submersible heater? Can you stick it further down in the bucket with some suction cups? A lot of submersible heaters come with attached suction cups.

3. Insulate it.

4. FurTrapper31

FurTrapper31 New Member

It's not completely submersable. The top still needs to stay out of the water. It has a "water line" indicater on it. It suctions to the side and I'd say it reaches about half way down the bucket.

5. AH7

AH7 New Member

x2

6. FurTrapper31

FurTrapper31 New Member

I put the bucket inside a plastic tote and stuffed fiberglass insilation around it and on top. Hopefully this works.

7. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

As above, you need to insulate the bucket. Bottom and sides as well as the top as best you can. If this still doesn't work you need to replace the heater with a submersible one so the heat rises from the bottom of the bucket and circulates the water. If you can get this set up properly, the skull should be pretty much clean in a week.

8. FurTrapper31

FurTrapper31 New Member

Most of the heaters I find have I guess a built in thermostat that only allows the heater to reach about 78 degrees. I'll wrk on insulating the bucket and I'll probably try to still find aother heater as well. Thanks.

9. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Try looking in the bigger pet stires and the Tetra ones in Walmart sound like they are even better than the ones I found that can be altered to keep a higher temperature.

10. Dogsteaks

Dogsteaks New Member

I purchased an Aqueon from someone off of Kijiji for $20. Works well, I think it goes up to around 90*F which is just crazy. I had originally purchased one of the Tetra ones from Walmart but it failed to even heat the water up at all, despite being plugged in for days inside the house. Just keep that in mind before you purchase one and keep the receipt handy.