1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

time and cost differance between a Commercial and Museum Quality or competition

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by tommy70, Feb 12, 2013.

1. tommy70

tommy70 New Member

Ive been reading alot on here and am very curious to know..if 2 guys walked in the door with perfect deer for u to cape out the works..let you choose everything and just stated he wanted it to look alive again..but only one guy had a budget say 600 for low guy and other was the sky as limit..how would you fix those two up so they would be returning customers.. you can post pictures of your best of the best and a best of commercial also for eye referance...would love to know how everyone operates ..thanks and hope i can get some bites.

2. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

I'd do both deer the same.. I put the extra work and fine details into every mount that leaves my shop.. Price the same.

3. Riverland

Riverland New Member

I don't advertise competition quality or museum quality work. they both get them back in a reasonable time and the same price. Unlimited budget guys get pedestals and you get your extra money on that or similar addons.

4. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I think your price that you yourself set is what allows you to make a really accurate mount, or the fact that you underprice yourself makes you have to cut some corners. Ill bet you anything that if guys come here and say Im wrong, that youll be able to draw a clear line between those comments...based on what they charge.

Lots of work is getting pretty good, almost show-like, my thinking is that the smallest details, like inner ears, inner nostrils and fine details may well be the only difference. That and presentation, like peds, as mentioned above.

5. tommy70

tommy70 New Member

Thank you guy's for responding to this with your thoughts..It is very much appreciated and lets me learn more for bettering and not settling.Im in no way ready or wanting to pursue customer's beyond a friend or family at this time..Only downside to this i believe would be the # of mounts i would be able to do a year..meaning keeping the edge or more experience..also would it help me to keep my mind learning by doing fish etc.squirrels,fox,coyote etc. ive been looking throughout this system and alot of things sound so interesting to try. Is this normal lol. thanks again..and keep those comments rolling .

6. Bill Yox

Actually, Now IS the time for you to explore all that, before the burden of work descends upon you. Be creative and have fun!

7. tommy70

tommy70 New Member

thanks Bill, that makes alot of sense also !! To be honest Im having a blast with deer mounts..although shaving by hand with a window razor blade scraper to thin capes down takes quite awhile to achieve and alot of blades lol..this is how they originally started sorta so i chose to do the same and get some experience along the way..although buying a flesher/shaver would be the faster way i think i would be missing out ;)lol thanks again

8. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

Pick up a Skife knife.. I believe my work improved 10 x just by using this little $4.00 tool.. or a better tool to shave specific areas down.. IE: nose, nostrils, lips, eyes, lids, face, ears, etc.. thin to win.. less shrinkage, and a skife makes a nice uniform clean finish.. If your seding your hides out to be professionally tanned, a fleshing machine is not a "must have".. a good knife, scalpel, and skife will get it thin to salt and send to tan.. the tannery will shave it numerous times and return you with a nice hide.. if not, find another tannery.. then finish up with a skife and a few other little gadgets.. etc.. I have no idea how I even managed before getting a skife knife a few years ago..

9. Bill Yox

Lots of ways to do it, I dont use a skife, still use a scalpel all these years later, but I know many, like Jesse, who love em. Also, some very accomplished guys use straight razors, like Jim Willard for example. I dont shave my capes before the tanner, just quickly knock off all the meat. Have fun.

10. 24/7

24/7 New Member

Tommy i totaly agree with Bill. Do you exploring and having fun now. If you are doing good work at a fair price you will be so busy before you know it, you will find yourself just trying to stay ahead of the burden of work. Deer seem to consume so much of my time i have a hard time making time for other projects. Didnt have much luck with a skife either. Scalpel , a good pair of scissors and my Dakota pro work for me! Good luck and like Bill said have fun

11. Okay so cost difference between competition vs commercial......in essence if I charged lets say $600 for an example of a shoulder mount then I could afford to buy the best eyes, a change out nose, etc etc that they use in competition therefore I would be charging the same regardless of commercial or show mount. I however charge substantially less than that and cannot charge $600 to $800 for a deer mount based on our customer base and time in the business. I whole heartedly believe I would not have received many mounts if I charge that much. . I say no one is spending 11- 12 hours mounting their deer for competition as well as commercial mounts. Especially when some of the larger known taxidermist are claiming to knock out 4 in one day (around my area). so how do they spend the amount of time and include the same supplies needed to do a competition piece on a commercial piece and say their is no difference in pricing?
    How many customers would know the difference from a museum, competition, or commercial mount just by looking. We know the difference because we have gained the experience and knowledge needed to see the differences.

12. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I do only commercial mounts ($425). If someone wanted to pay me for a comp quality mount, it would be on a cost plus basis. So, if I had 50 more hours in it than a commercial mount, the cost would be $2500 more. In reality, I'd turn the job down and send them to someone way more talented. My comp deer mounts would only get white ribbons....maybe.

13. amen joe

14. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Simple, one would be on the wall, the other would be on a custom free, standing pedestal with bad ass backing and habitat...........

15. Riverland

Riverland New Member

Kind of hard to advertise museum quality unless you work at a museum. Same for competition quality.do you give them a money back guaranty of it doesn't get a blue? Or is competition quality just showing up and entering it in a show and getting nothing.

16. Bill Yox

I believe the key here is the word quality, and the assumed word "like". Museum like quality and competition like quality suggests a comparison, not a guarantee or actual origin, for lack of a better word.

I do agree though, that we should be careful how we word things...although its the client who adds the description, as well as the final approval.

17. tommy70

tommy70 New Member

thanks bill for keeping this topic understandable and heading in the right direction..much appreciated!! My opinion is that taxidermy is a very under paid art that in reality the artist should be making alot more $$ from there work !! considering that the taxi is up to date and on top of his Game.

18. Riverland

Riverland New Member

Cmon Bill its getting a little slow on here with all politcal stuff going on. No more catfishing allowed ?

19. Bill Yox

Hey man no, I wasnt moderating, just commenting just like you and the other guys. No problem here, Im glad its not politics!

20. tommy70

tommy70 New Member

Why is everyone so tense in all..take some deep breaths lol
    And bill i didnt take your response any different than how u posted..i was thanking you for assisting in how i started this topic.you were making it easier to understand for other's. and by the way.. who's against fishing ? lol j/k. on another sudject i just recieved 2 capes i ordered online that upon opening were ripe smelling..grrrr u guessed it !! im not happy and my first bad purchase to date..hopefully the man will make things good..becuase i was very excited bout recieving them ..theyre look and obvious smell definately didnt make a love connection grrr :mad: