1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question about mussels and clams.

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by boarzhead, Feb 12, 2013.

1. boarzhead

boarzhead God created man... Samuel Colt made them equal!

Do most people use real mussel and clam shells for habitat or should I make casts of these. Thank you. Just been seeing alot of mussels in their habitat for diving ducks.

2. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

For clams and etc. I've always used real ones. I'm fortunate to live in an area where they are free for the finding.
    The only sea life I ever tried to mold and cast was barnacles, and that was for two reasons: I never seem to be able to find a nice group of easily accessible ones when I need them, and all of the ready-made ones that I've seen looked fake to me.

It didn't work as well as I had hoped. :(
    My own cast barnacles didn't look good to me either, so I gave up and decided to invest more time in searching for real ones. (And to charge more for including them in a habitat!)

3. boarzhead

boarzhead God created man... Samuel Colt made them equal!

Thank you. Thats what i thought. Good luck on barnicle hunt. When i lived in NH i would see real nice clusters on boat docks and fishing warfs when we would go deep sea fishing.