1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

need info on tanning a cow hide

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by mimes, Feb 14, 2013.

1. mimes

mimes New Member

Ok so just had a customer call and they are slaughtering a cow tomorrow and want the hide tanned. I have zero experience with cow hides. Yes I have tried the search button. So my question is, what is the best approach to doing this after they get the hide off the cow. Can a cow hide be pressure washed and how difficult is that? I have a very small shop, so would it be best to just box it up raw and ship it to a tannery like that? Thanks.

2. wayne70

wayne70 Member

Ship it off, they are a lot of work to flesh and shave

3. mimes

mimes New Member

Ok next question, who can I ship off to that takes frozen cow hides? Everyone I have called only takes salt dried. How hard is it to pressure wash a cow hide......i have done a ton of deer, but have no clue if it will work on a cow hide. Thanks.

4. iggletaxi08

iggletaxi08 Member

ive done multiple steer hides and bison hides with a pressure washer they arent bad work wise just time consuming. depending on the size and how powerful your washer is it can take one and half to three hours to flesh.

5. Most of them don't reqiure much fleshing at all just salt and ship to a tannery