1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I watched Immortalized and.........

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by MidwestBigBucks, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

X2! You & Page both did great.

2. MidwestBigBucks

MidwestBigBucks Member

Holy Chit!! People get way to out of hand over this stuff. This was not the World Taxidermy Show airing on tv. It seems to be more of a variety show, based on the first episode and the second. To me it does'nt seem like from what I've seen that its not completely based off accuracy, so much as it is artistically. This seems to be like a Variety Taxidermy Art show. Something different, then traditional taxidermy. I personally did not care for the first episode. I gave it another try, and enjoyed the second episode, and in my personal opinion CJ, did a way better job of creating an "End of the World" piece that was artistically in my opinion what the judges were looking for. Pages work was a traditional accurate taxidermy display, that was awesome too! However if I were the judge in that type of show, I to would have given the winning to CJ, his mount hands down was just "Kick A$$"

3. Nightweaver

Nightweaver Member

The "pre-show" on AMC's website was what I was expecting moreso from the show, the "premire" episode was a total flop. Does that girl only make hats? If so I don't really see what she's doing there... She's not a taxidermist just an artisan crafter/leatherworker. Just my two cents. The pussyfish was awful, and although the bug version of Guliver's travels wasn't really taxidermy I personally think it fit the theme a little better.

There's drama everywhere, TV being the hotspot behind the internet. It's no surprise they would make it look like, or have the contestants be a bit on the bitchy side. Sadly that's just how it is. As long as there is good work to be seen on the show, I watch it on comcast so if I don't want to hear the mediocre drama smack talking I can just fast forward it to see the mounts.

I haven't watched Thursday's episode yet, but I feel mixed about the show, the premire episode should of been on the internet as the preview, and the one that was online as the preview should've been the TV premiere. Because the episode they picked for the premiere was just hoaky. Like "oh hey if I attatch feathers to a headband and sew a cat body onto a fish tail I am a taxidermist" and that just... Isn't how it works...

And the judges have me baffled. There's a taxidermist, some other person I can't recall and a comedian? I don't understand how that happened. Makes me feel as if it is a joke. From what I saw their really wasn't much taxidermy work, the cat skin wasn't shown being... Really anything. I didn't see any skinning, prepwork, turning/splitting... Made it look like all skins come off an animal perfect with no need to do anything else aside from tan it.

Speaking of joke and I don't want to really bash but that American Stuffers show from last year... Ambi the only one who kept looking at most of the work done on that show comparing it to the mounts around the shop in the background and feeling like I was watching completely different taxidermists? That was another disappointing taxidermy show.

4. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

After I wrote that I got so excited that I dreamed about flying ****s!!!

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Do they come with parachutes as well?

6. EA

EA Well-Known Member

You have moved me Mike. I'm going you write my congressman and ask them to make February Flying **** Month in your honor. Heck Discovery may even spin off a few episodes of Flyin' **** Week. :D

Kudos to those who had the balls to do the show. Who knows what may come of it. Maybe something bigger and better.

Courtney Cox got her break when Bruce Springsteen dragged her up onstage in his goofy Dancing in the Dark video.

7. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Sorry guys! Were each of the contestants very talented? Well heck yes there is no disputing that fact. Was it in formative as well as entertaining? Well for me it was just a spin of yet another reality show. I didn't care for the format or the supposed tension between them. As for me it was the first and probably last time I watch it. I predict yet again we have failure to launch. Bring back mounted in Alaska it was much better in my opinion. Hey I don't blame the guys for getting on board they have to have made money participating. I still would sit on the edge of my seat to see my old grumpy friend George and MP do a show now that would be entertainment :)

8. ShastaDonegan

ShastaDonegan Lets start with ridiculous and move backwards.

Well said Will! I would watch George's show, I love George...they can name the show George's Taxidermy where every mount is anatomically correct and you can have a free foot in your a$$ with every comission, all you have to do is ask a stupid question and George will, make sure you don't do it again...hehehe. :-* :p ;D

9. MidwestBigBucks

MidwestBigBucks Member

He would be the "Simon Cowell of the taxidermy show"! I think that would be a very interesting show to watch!!
    I am now picturing Michael and George as judges on a show, similiar to American Idol, only with taxidermists competeing. How can we get these guys a show, I'm ready for some real reality taxidermy tv!! ;D

10. duxdown

duxdown New Member

You know guy's maybe we will be fortunate enough that some of the producers of Immortalized will actually read some of these posts but probably not. But just incase! I would never miss an episode of the George and MP show. You can do it in a setting that show cases taxidermy talent along with something besides the danged drama that all of America is getting sick of. Do it so it's informative mix it with some hunting footage and make us want to see the next episode not shake our heads and say just another Hollywood joke.

11. redog76

redog76 New Member

They took 20+ hours of footage of each of us. Unfortunately, we didn't make the show, so we couldn't choose what they used. I don't care who ya are, when they film that much, anyone is gonna say some dumb chit.

Plus they only came to my shop for 2 days, and just filmed me mounting 1 fox. This was AMCs 1st shot at a show of this type, and I think they learned alot. Maybe they will take more of our(taxidermists) input in the future.

The other animals I did had to be mounted before they came in order to dry (had 40 days total). The show needed an hour to share more informative and funny stuff,

which we all would have preferred. I agree, I would love to see those guys on a show too. Way funnier than myself, and I'll bet way more comfortable on camera.

I know I am not the best, and trust me I learn more everyday. AMC found me, I wasn't out for any of this.

But if you don't like me because of how I was portrayed on the show, so be it. I did my best in the time I had, and overall feedback seems OK. No matter what, no show will ever make you ALL happy.

Personally I think mounted in Alaska had way more composed drama than this show. Its just the way they cut Immortalized that set it up that way. And the radio show was just fun, so if it pissed y'all off, sorry about that too.

AND my Father is a very good bird taxidermist, I'm sorry if you haven't heard of him. He is very respected in this industry, so you can knock me all you want, I stand behind him and his work, along with my 'crappy' work.

But thanks to the people that can just watch it for what its worth, and appreciate something a little outside the box, and what each artist brought to the table.

There's still 6 more episodes, so it ain't over till the fat lady sings.......just my $.02 Thanks everyone.

12. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

CJ, I have known and seen the quality of work from your dad for over 20 years. You guys did a great job and don't owe anyone an apology for anything. Have fun and make a living.

13. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

CJ I agree with Rick, you don't owe anyone an apology..FOR ANYTHING...
    You did great and I'm proud of you and what you have done.
    DENNIS

14. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

CJ, I don't know you but I'm glad you DID come on and explain it. You seem much more humble and like one of us instead of the arrogance the snippets AMC provided us. It's just a damned shame we have to be "used" to be interesting to the American viewing audience.

15. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

GEORGE , Taxidermy.net would be a great sitcom. Most Americans have just not found us on here, YET!

16. Yep!

17. redog76

redog76 New Member

im still lol good stuff

18. redog76

redog76 New Member

I really appreciate that coming from 2 of the best ever!!! Very cool!

19. MidwestBigBucks

MidwestBigBucks Member

My thoughts exactly! ;)

20. MidwestBigBucks

MidwestBigBucks Member

C.J. you should not have to apologize, whether people think you are humble or an A$$. Anyone that knows anything about TV, they are always going to fabricate it to their liking. The news does that, tv shows do that, especially reality tv shows. There are also people out there that do the same. I don't think you should apologize to anyone period. Those kind of people that require you to explain yourself, are'nt worth your time, trust me. I've done alot of explaining in my past to alot of people, and then I realized, those people that don't accept me, don't matter anyway. Be humble to those that accept you for you!