1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Got my turkey!

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Jeanette Hall, May 17, 2007.

1. After going out for the past three weeks I finally connected with a great tom! I executed two prior stalks that led me to jakes. I saw my tom in full strut courting a couple of ladies. It took me over 30 minutes to sneak over and get into a good shooting position. I harvested a Merriam/ Eastern cross with a 9 inch beard and 1" spurs. He weighed in at 20lbs. I can't figure out how to get the picture small enough to post on here. If you would like to see a pic, just shoot me an email. Can't wait to mount him up!

Happy Huntress, -Jeanette

P.S. He was DELICIOUS!!!!

2. birdgirl

birdgirl full service taxidermy, specializing in waterfowl

Wow! awesome Jeanette! thats so cool.I wish I had time to go out hunting and the strength.I weigh about 98 pds and am only 4 foot 8.The last time I shot a 12 GA. was about 8 years ago and it was full choke, I ended up laying on the ground still holding the gun saying dam that was fun! woke up with a lovely bruise on my shoulder and the urge to not shoot a 12 again.I do plink around with my 22 rifle and 410 single shot once in awhile.How did you cook the turkey? did you cook the whole bird or just the breast meat? did you marinate? i have never tried a wild turkey.I do like pheasant quail and duck but goose is not the greatest, except for the hot summer sausage sticks.

3. I actually shot him with my Remington 870 express 20 gauge pump with extra full choke and 3" turkey load. I got a small bruise on my jaw- but I tend to lean on my shot gun the same as I do on my .300 win. Just used to a scoped gun I guess. Anywhoo, I had him brined then smoked. Tasted awesome! He wasn't sporting much fat, but still a juicy bugger! I got a lot of flack around here because I didn't take him with my bow. Sometimes I just need to smell the powder if you know what I mean!

4. Here is Jeanette's Turkey

5. Thanks for posting the pic for me Tim! Please no laughing at my hunting garb. It was 87 degrees that day and I was more comfortable in a tank top than I would have been in full camo. However, if anyone has a camo tank top they could lend me...

6. birdgirl

birdgirl full service taxidermy, specializing in waterfowl

thank you for the pics, the turkey is a true prize

7. Terry Vining

Terry Vining last photo together

Mi
    Nice looking bird..... Congrats.

8. Terry Bennett

Terry Bennett Active Member

Idaho
    Holy cow girl it looks like the turkey weighs more than you do. :) :) In the future you might want to wrap it bacon when you roast it.

9. :eek: MAN!!! that's hot right thur....

10. and the turkey too....lol

11. Jeanette, So that's why you haven't bothered to send me the money for the bird I sold you over a month ago - you've been too busy turkey hunting. You don't answer my emails either. You are a non-payer in my book.

Bruce Norton