1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Another quality vs price, unhappy customer?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by RedTx, Feb 16, 2013.

1. RedTx

RedTx New Member

So I did this ringneck for a customer and when he picked it up he seemed happy. After a few days he calls me up and says he isnt really happy about the quality of the mount and was wondering if I could work a deal on the next bird he brings me since im new at this whole bird mounting thing? Given im and amateur and barely have 30 birds under my belt but I thought I did a pretty good job on this bird plus since im new I only charged him $150 which I still think is a pretty good deal. I dont know, the guy has me questioning my work? Is it that bad or is this guy just trying to get a deal? Is it worth $150? I recently went to $200 but maybe I shouldnt have?

[​IMG]

2. Rogerst

Rogerst Member

i face this issue all the time in my "real job" Ask yourself, "do I want this guy as a customer" if he is tying to nickle and dime you you do not. I don't do Taxidermy to make money and I only do Fish for others ( I wholesale and do a good bit of interior design work) Even with limited amount of "customers" I do not tolerate this kind of behavior. From appearances your work IS worth the $150 he paid. Imagine one of the great bird guys in the country, what would Newmeyer, or Luke, Or Reedy do if a guy called and asked for a discount? I believe they would say nope. Even at their price I am sure some people price shop them.
    Stay positive. If you hear that he is bad mouthing your quality show the picture. Just my opinion.

3. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Red Ex that's a $295 bird all day long with the base.
    I'm Sorry your not confident enough in your work to charge what your really worth, that mount beats 75% of the comercial bird work out there. It's not HOW many you have done it's what you've done with that many.

I'm just a Mammal guy but nex time do a stronger dark wash on the upper legs...maybe?

4. You could ask the guy to point out exactly what he is not happy about. I would not give him any discount.

5. Adam Edwards

Adam Edwards Member

Utah
    That mount is well worth 150. I think you did a great job on that bird and he should be happy. The fact that he wants you to do another bird is a red flag to me. If he wasn't happy with the quality of the bird then why in the heck would he want you to do another one?? I would be very proud to sport that mount in my trophy room, it is clean and smooth great pose the rock looks awesome. There should be no complaints. If he honestly wasn't happy he wouldn't want you to do another bird for him. I agree you could charge more for that mount even 200 sounds like its a bargain. Did he see some of your past work before you mounted this bird for him? If he knew your quality and work i wouldn't give him a discount either, he already got a great bird for a great price.

6. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

Im not a bird guy, but it looks decent to me. Here is what you do. tell him "sure I will give you a discount". Then tell him you raised your prices to $300 and tell him you will do it for $250.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Go take a weekend advanced bird lesson somewhere from a pro, get fine tuned, and then there will be zero customers trying to bend you over.

8. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

You're kidding, right?
    Please admit that you're joking.

9. *

Nancy tell this guy he's not charging enough PLEASE !

10. snowkillerlssu

snowkillerlssu New Member

11. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Yeah ... go up to $300, and then give him a deal on the next one at only $290.

*rolls eyes*

12. *

THANK YOU.

13. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

That is a NICE mount. Based on what I see, even $200 is a real bargain. Call his bluff, tell him that he should probably take his work somewhere else, if he doesn't like what you're putting out. He knows that you're new and he's trying to "shake you down" for a better price IMO.

14. Dark Man

Dark Man Active Member

im with everybody else,tell that guy to screw. if he doesnt like the price.Your bird is perfectly fine.Youll find as you further your career people like this will come and go,in the end you will have more repeat customers with the quality work that is getting turned out to them.oh yeah,you should definetely raise your prices! lol nice mount

15. *

You have 3 or 4 Long Time TAXIDEDRMISTS with plenty of experience out in the real world telling you your producing higher quality birds than you think, Take some of this advise.

16. I'd give him a deal. I'd point him in the direction of the door for FREE!

17. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

First, it is always a good character of a taxidermist to always want to do better....but like already said, that bird is far beyond most people's commercial work . When someone hears a duck for 150 most think it will be nothing but a jumble of feathers, HUGE doll eyes, a crappy paint job, and most likely a 2X4 for a base. Yours is far from that. We all have been there with questioning ourselves as to what we are worth.

I see a few things that "I" would have done different but would also be happy with it as is. The golden rule is, once a customer walks out the door with no complaints....they own it, PERIOD. If they are asking for a discount along with already planning future work from you then that is a customer you can do without. Too many people have their hand out wanting everything for nothing.

Like I answered someone with a similar post the other day, offer to give him his money back if he returned the bird to you for a show piece. If he won't agree and threatens to not use you again...THANK him.

18. mcrib1981

mcrib1981 New Member

thats a great mount bro...tell the dude to take his buisiness elsewhere

19. I would call him and say. My bird is in the top 10% nation wide. So Yea I will make you a deal $325.00 for the next bird. Material went way up and so did my hourly wage!

The sob is trying to stiff you!

20. WayneP

WayneP New Member

Lets see....$150 less materials, habitat, chemicals, tool & equipment investments as well as educational expenses leaves you how much an hour for your work and knowledge?????? Hang in there Obama is getting an immigration package together for you. You don't need to seek support from others to make a living. You knew that bird is acceptable before you posted it. Send him elsewhere and tell him why.