1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Eye Set ( competition quality ?)

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by WildNatureLuver, Feb 18, 2013.

1. WildNatureLuver

WildNatureLuver New Member

Is this eye set up to competition standards ? What can i do better ? Thanks for any suggestions.

[​IMG]

2. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Looks pretty good but not sure about the heavy crease going all around the back of eye, better show reference of that

3. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

10 judges will have 10 different opinions......don't you LOVE it!!!! :) Taxidermy is not wind tunnel results!

4. fozziebear

fozziebear New Member

I am not in any way judge material but think it
    looks purty darn good , one thing that noticed
    and you probably did too now that you looked the pic is
    spread out your lash's evenly then backbrush the hairs
    around the eye to soften it up a bit.

5. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Upper brow looks a little flat. I would push it down or otherwise build it fatter to overhang a bit. Just my opine. Looks pretty nice though with the attention to detail.

6. Riverland

Riverland New Member

Eye looks very "tooled" and hard. The lacrimal crease should flow into the tear duct more. Front of the eye looks very pinched for as open as the eye is.

7. Harvestmoontaxi

Harvestmoontaxi Lake of the woods walleyes

Don't know much about competition but that is a very nice, detailed eye set!

8. WildNatureLuver

Thank you for the tips, is it possible someone can post a close up of a blue ribbon award winning eye just to see what is possible with a skilled artist, would appreciate it , thank you.

9. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

Try looking through this sight. The link is at the top of this category. Or use the search and type 'white tail eye reference'.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/board,20.0.html

I'm sure you'll find some help.

10. WildNatureLuver

Thx for the reply Happ Mark S. , I do have plenty of reference pictures , what I would like to see is a close up picture of a blue ribbon winning deer eye , would like to see is what is achievable by some artist.

11. Riverland

Riverland New Member

Your better off looking at multiple pictures of real eyes off of different deer to learn what falls into what is acceptable. It doesn't have to be perfect to be right ,it just cannot fall outside of what is right.

12. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

The first pic looks better now, looks like you softened up the creaces as compaired to the pic Mike reposted. How does it look from the front view? Now the rest of the mount must have the same attention to detail as you have on the eye.

13. WildNatureLuver

Actually i posted the wrong picture the first time, you see i always take a picture of a mount & then view it on the computer, seams ya always see things in a picture that you just don't notice looking at it. Yes ,you are correct Paul , now to get the rest of the mounts details in order. Just wish someone could post a picture of a close up eye that won a blue ribbon in competition to see what can be accomplished by a skilled artist.

14. Doug Motgomery

Doug Motgomery Active Member

How about make it look like a real one

Attached Files:

15. here's another close up of real one.
    Jim

Attached Files: