1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Split ear

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Artie mags, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Artie mags

Artie mags New Member

Some input needed. Would
    You bondo this ear or try and use a liner cut to fit? I turned it perfect no holes
    [​IMG]

2. I bondo everything but that is just me. On that one either would easy to do.

3. Cool ear! Looks like he pulled his ear tag out. ;) LOL!

4. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

I always use liners. Thats an easy one because the edges go out instead of curl in making it hard to get the liner in. The upper edge curls in slightly at the bottom but that sholdn't be a problem getting the liner through.

5. I had a customer bring one in with both ear split. He wanted it mounted that way. Sure made it easy. I also bondo'ed the ear to have a small slender piece hanging down. When it came in the piece was too slender for the cartilage to support it upright.

6. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

It depends if you are good at bondo ears. If you can make great looking bondo ears, you will be done with that before you could even modify a liner.

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I had one just like it. I laid the ear liner in the ear and traced the ear onto the liner and cut it out to match and made it a little smaller. It turned out awesome. Much better than I thought it would. Ear liners a not expensive so why not give it a try? It took me about 42 seconds to trace and alter the liner.

8. Artie mags

Artie mags New Member

I'll probably go with the ear liner since I havent done bondo in a while

9. Matt

Matt Active Member

I use liners as well and I would just trim it to fit. I have alot of mulies in with ears like that and I just remove the cartilage, and then lay the ear inside the liner and line it up as close as I can and trace the ear out. Works well for me. Nice job turning that one, I usually put a few holes in them!(LOL)

10. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Go with the liners Artie. I was in the auto body industry for 20 years and haven't used bondo for deer ears since I tried my first liner years ago, only use it on critters that you can't get a liner for.

11. x2

12. DDavis

DDavis Active Member

liners, just trim to fit