1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

freezer burned second wing digit

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by mimes, Feb 19, 2013.

1. mimes

mimes New Member

Having a really hard time figuring out how to rehydrate a freezer burned second wing digit/joint that is locked in place. It will not allow me to extend the primaries. I have injected with cold, warm, warm soapy water and stop rot. Ran bird through fleshing and washing cycle, still no luck. Any help? Thanks.

2. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Get it wet, then push the greater primary coverts out of the way and inject in between them with plain water in an insulin syringe. You want to inject the thin web of membrane and tendons that stretches between the quills of the primary feathers. The primaries are rooted on TOP of the outermost wing digits, so it works better to inject it from the top. (Hitting it from both directions won't hurt.) That same membrane continues over and connects to the secondary feathers so be sure to inject it right in the wrist area as well. Give it a few minutes to soak in and then start flexing it a little at a time until it loosens up. You should be able to get it back to "good as new" if you are patient.

3. sarahdj

sarahdj Active Member

I've had good luck with the same procedure and peroxide- regular strength brown bottle.

4. dablaw

dablaw Member

Laquer thinner...please no hate mail...lol..just do it outside and soak the wing tips in a plastic container..I do this alot and it does work..If your worried about issues using laquer then like I said do it outside, windy day even better and just use common sense...Like I said, no debate starter here, just trying to help someone out who's shoes I have been in...I only do this when absolutely needed..Good luck.David.

5. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

No hate mail, but lacquer thinner will not re-HYDRATE anything.

Hydration refers to water content, and lacquer thinner has no water in it. It might eventually penetrate the cell walls enough to allow some movement, but I admit to being highly skeptical. Water is fast, easy, and safe.

6. dablaw

dablaw Member

Nancy yes I know your right about that...I know it doesn't rehydrate anything...I just had some luck "Loosening" the joint up enough to move it where the skin inverted better..Just seemed quick and easy...I agree water is safer and easier i suppose..moving on now....How bout the beautiful day here in Ky....

7. giveem3 steve

giveem3 steve Member

I have had the best luck using cold water and bacteriacide.

8. mimes

mimes New Member

Thanks guys I will try what has been suggested.

9. I inject with windex seems to work well on wings and esp. feet.

10. sarahdj

sarahdj Active Member

I've heard that about Widnex too- just haven't tried it. Doesn't harbor bacteria either.

11. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Right or wrong, I have injected Stop Rot and then froze for a day. The expansion of the freezing liquid helped. I do this on all freezer burned parts, birds and animals. Works for me.