1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Does anyone else...

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Daniel M., Feb 19, 2013.

1. Daniel M.

Daniel M. Tongo, the best dog in the world. (Saarloos)

Ohio
    I was just thinking about this the other day. But do any of you guys set up the form and antlers of a mount that you are looking forward to working on, (even though it may be several weeks or even months before you get to it) just so you can hang it in your work area so you can look at it all the time while you work on other mounts?

I've always done this, it motivates me and gives me a chance to really enjoy seeing a cool or huge set of horns or antlers everyday. Seems like once its mounted, it leaves the shop before I get tired of looking at it, lol

Maybe I'm just different, but I figured I'd at least ask ;)

2. I used to, but now I am surrounded by them, lol. I still love them, and know what you mean. :D

3. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

I do it all the time. They look much nicer sitting on the form. Also I usually take a day after I get a big batch of forms in and prep them and set rack and hang em all in the shop. Didn't have enough room for that before but its nice now. Even hang some of them in the show room till I get to them.

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I've always done this too.

5. eliscull

eliscull Nov. 2011

NJ
    LOL I love doing this. I even take it off one form and move it to another for a different look. The crazy stuff we all do but are affraid to ask others if they do it too.

6. tommy70

tommy70 New Member

x2 lol

7. backstapwillie

backstapwillie 2011 Montana Bow kill

I get sick of looking at antlers, I do lay out forms and antlers for all the deer I plan to do that week.

8. Megan :)

Megan :) Well-Known Member

I do it too. Like you said, keeps me motivated!

9. Matt

Matt Active Member

I do it all the time, it sparks new ideas and motivation! I do it mainly with pedistal mounts to fine new angles and scene ideas.

10. tem

tem Well-Known Member

i also like doing it. plus it keeps me from putting the wrong antlers on the wrong form ;) not that iv done it be for. :-X

11. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

I'm Guilty.

12. Daniel M.

Daniel M. Tongo, the best dog in the world. (Saarloos)

Ohio
    Haha, this is great! Glad I'm not alone :)

This is what's hanging over my bench now...

[​IMG]

Anyone else have pictures of some that just hang around a while? Its kinda funny and sad, but most of my own trophies only make it that far. I usually have the skin tanned and in the freezer, but I almost like them better that way. Maybe because it still has potential, and I know in the back of my mind, that if I ever get bored or want to mount something of my own, then I have a project ready to go.

If I was a painter, I'm afraid I'd have a gallery of only half finished paintings! lol

13. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I like to look at them and imagine the expression. For some reason though, I seem to have more trouble doing that with straight on poses. For that reason I always try to talk clients into at least a slight turn. I have three pig forms hanging up right now and each one I imagine with a slightly different expression. This really helps getting the attitude right when mounting.

14. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

i do this with any mount i have in future planning...i actually can see it finished and it helps to change my mind on it to make it better during the time before i finally work on it. its kind of like having drafting plans for a house.....seeing it before its finished....

15. My racks stay in a locked vault until I am ready to mount them. No sense making it easy for someone to steal them if they break in.

Bruce

16. Dangitboy

Dangitboy Member

When I have the room I like hanging them, gives me ideas before mounting. Right now I'm wounded, and out of action. Had my ankle fused in January. Pics look great Daniel.

17. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Sometimes you are just in that groove working with the radio plannin theright song and ya just start dancin... Oh that wasn't a question, nevermind.

18. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I had my antlers from a personal deer on the form for three years before I got around to putting the cape on it. I got so used to seeing it that way it will take a while to get used to it with a cape on it.

19. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

My antlers and mannikins don't get together til a few minutes before mounting. I have a mannikin shipment come in each Monday and by the end on the week they are all mounted up.