1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

TUCK / NO TUCK

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by skulley, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Alright, I have found some old posts and threads where a few remarks where made on not tucking the eyes, just cutting away the extra material and laying it up to the eye and allowing the glue to hold it in place. I would like to ask for some of you "OLD GUYS" to chime in on whether you tuck or not. Some reasons why / why not would be good also.

2. Is just like many other debates, two different ways to get the same thing accomplished, as long as done correctly.

3. I think it's Tuck,,Tuck,,, No Tuck ! May have something to do with the way people were taught? I use the lay method,only because that's the way I learned how to do it. I should probably try to tuck one to see if it works better or not. But I think I'm too old for change!

4. C'mon now dennis! stop riding that fence and tell us which you use :-X

5. Is old news Skulley... ;)

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,93742.0.html

6. tommy70

tommy70 New Member

Your Brilliant dennis 8) thanks for sharing, Bows down ;) seriously though..this will help alot now and down the road !!

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I do the lay tuck method. I leave just a tiny bit to tuck, like a 16th or less.

8. dakotabill

dakotabill Member

I like to LAY, I thought it was weird seeing the guy on silence of the lambs tucking it in front of the mirror.lol

9. Badgerland

Badgerland Quality taxidermy & quality deer capes.

I like tucking about an 8th" or so. Its good insurance to have a little glue in that tuck & it seldom pulls at all.

10. I was taught the lay method, it works great but honestly, I just took a few tips from my buddy Clark and I will say HANDS DOWN better product IMO. more realistic and less to fuss with.

11. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

I always enjoy a good lay myself. Id rather have a lay than tuck it. Will miss ya at the Sconnie show Bill. Got a good Primer in tonight. You know whats instore for the next 3 nights ;) lol. See ya at MN next year!

12. Heya dennis, thanks for the link. dont know how i missed that. gonna give 'er a try

13. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Tucking gives you more positive control without the constant babysitting the "lay method" requires. The eyelashes tend to fall into place much better. Dennis's results are fantastic but if it were the "norm" wed be doing it with the lips as well.

14. George is right, you can not set them and forget them and the skin must be thin, thin. If you don't have the time to do the lay method correctly, best to tuck I would say. Good to know how to work with each. Advantages and disadvantages in both for me, can be helpful to know the lay method even if you like tucking. Makes it easy to deal with those capes that have no skin for tucking due to someone else doing a crappy job of skinning it out.

15. AMCTaxi

AMCTaxi Wholesale Small Mammal Taxidermist

Anything larger than say a fisher or a fox is a tuck job. Anything smaller, and I find it not really a worthwhile effort in trying to turn all that skin out. Tucked eyes on deer work and look a lot better. Of course you should try both methods and hone skills at each. I've encountered more than a few skins that nothing was left to tuck. Those cardboard Africrap hides come to mind.

16. I can respect your opinion..... but I think Dennis Bragg puts out some of the nicest looking eyes on this site,, and he uses the lay method. I think it's a talent thing more than the method used! Just sayin' ...

17. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I tuck, but use the lay method when I buy capes from a trapper or DIY skinner/hunter,, go figure.

18. i was taught to tuck but today did the lay method. i found it to be extremely easy and fast. i check it out every hour and nothing seems to be moving. before laying the eyes up i used a sm. brush and made sure i had good glue coverage.

19. tommy70

tommy70 New Member

very cool skulley, i wanna give it a shot on my next mount also..what kind of glue are u using?

20. 555