1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Leather for dead mount

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Leven, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Leven

Leven New Member

Having trouble finding leather strap for dead mount. Any ideas??

2. Wildwingstaxidermy

Wildwingstaxidermy New Member

I just posted my first dead mount on here last night. It seems well received and what I used was shoe string. I went to a shoe store and bought the largest diameter, heavy duty boot laces I could find in leather. I just made a slip knot for the leg and and the nail in the display piece. I think it made a good result.

Attached Files:

3. bowmantax

bowmantax New Member

4. Leven

Leven New Member

Thanks

5. srholmes30

srholmes30 Living each and every day

Like the Mallard

6. CrittrGittr

CrittrGittr New Member

I get my bulk leather lace at a craft store like Michaels or Hobby Lobby. You can paint it, dye it, or even burn it to give it a rustic look. Here's a pic of one I did last year with a little braid job.
    [​IMG]

7. deadstuff

deadstuff Member

Macs prarie wings. You can get the real lanyards there.

8. mcrib1981

mcrib1981 New Member

x2 on the boot laces... thats what I use

9. I googled Lanyards and found a place that had some real nice leather ones and they were cheap.

10. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I just use some leather strips that I got so long ago that I don't even remember where they came from. ('Got a BUNCH for cheap at some sort of sell out.)
    One thing I found that is useful, at least for me, is to paint them with a darker color using ordinary craft acrylic paint. Let it dry, and then fold them back and forth a few times. It cracks the paint and makes the leather look like it's weathered and has been used for ages.

11. I went to Micheals. They sell leather by the roll. It has worked great for me. They also sell small gauge wire, putty, and things for habitats.

Attached Files:

12. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

I use leather strips used for saddle work I got from TSC.

[​IMG]