1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

stubborn hair on shoulder mount

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by mimes, Feb 21, 2013.

1. mimes

mimes New Member

Some shoulder mounts I put together have stubborn whisps of hair, almost like long cowlicks right where the base of the neck meets the shoulders. In that slight "dip". Seems to be most often on SS forms. I have tried taxiiing the skin in all directions with not much luck. Sometimes I will wet the hair, comb down and card. Anyone else having this problem or have the solution?

2. tommy70

tommy70 New Member

I use cape set gel ordered it from mckenzie..works awsome and im guessing its just like the products we would use for hair to not sure on that bud..goodluck

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Not exactly sure where you are talking about, at the point of the brisket? They do have a cowlic there. A pic would help. It sounds to me that you aren't taxiing the skin where it belongs. Some deer do have cowlics in various places that can give a guy fits but not all in the same location.

4. Nick7

Nick7 New Member

Just go to the dollar store and get cheap hair gel. Use it all the time and works great

5. supdavetax

supdavetax New Member

What worked for me was to brush the hair up and over the shoulder,I think that with the turn it puts it closer to its natural pattern. That is if the skin is where it needs to be.

6. Matt

Matt Active Member

Some of those are naturally where the skin stacks and wrinkles occur when the animal was alive. Just remember when grooming, a wt's hair doesn't flow straight with the body, but more vertically. This is the result of water shed. For the unruly hair, I use a hair gel and it usually takes care of the problem. If they are really bad, I will gel and card them.

7. mimes

mimes New Member

Thanks guys. If it happens again, I will try the hair gel.

8. davehyer

davehyer New Member

On spots that hair jell doesn't work you can try moistening critter clay and smearing it over the area and then let dry and brush it out.