1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

aves apoxie sculpt

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by byrdman, Feb 21, 2013.

1. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

anyone using this stuff? this stuff is junk...no bond,,no "stick" ..falls off no matter how you mix or apply...why is this the only apoxie vandykes has on-line...

2. I havent had problems with the original "no color" apoxie sculpt, but recently I bought some black apoxie sculpt for limbus bands and such... and it is garbage. Has almost zero adhesion and breaks apart very easily. Very dissapointed with the black apoxie sculpt, but the original stuff is ok.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Absolutely no issues here. May be something wrong with that particular batch. Contact Aves and voice your complaint.

4. smalliestalker

smalliestalker and a river runs through it.

X2. Just bought the black for my first wood ducks. Tried it, new from supplier, and it is crap. Natural was OK.

I bought some RED too. Hope it is better than the black. Will try it this weekend.

5. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

It's all I use and all i use is the natural. Works great, however, anytime I mix paint with it to make a certain color, it has less adhesive properties.

6. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

No problems here. I normally use the flesh color. Call them.

7. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

I thought it was just me....played hell getting it to stick for eye rings....

8. Ever add water? It will dry out over time, so I usually add a damp paper towel to the jar that does dry out. I have always used natural, so that could be the reason I have never seen an issue? If I needed color, I always hand paint it with thinned lacquer paints. There are times I find it too sticky, and will allow it to air dry for 30 to 40 minutes after mixing the two together.

9. smalliestalker

smalliestalker and a river runs through it.

The Black (and Red) are brand new. How long were they on the shelf of course I have no idea.

My old Natural color is nearly empty and the remains are getting a little crusty. I seem to recall a post on here about nuking it for a bit to revive.

10. falco

falco Trapping is fun

No issues here, actually thats the brand I always use and dont like other stuff.
    if you like it more sticky, dip it in lacquer thinner when mixing it.
    if you like it less sticky, dip it in water ,,.
    if you mix it and leave it for a few minutes, it gets less sticky anyways.
    if you like it in different colour and dont want to buy the new colours,, but the natural grey colour,,, and dip it in your desired paint when mixing it,, I use acrylic , works great.

11. I've never had a problem with the natural color. I use it on everyrhing from fish, game head mounts to bird eye rings. Use some water and make sure the 2 parts are equal and knead it well

12. byrdman

whats the natural color? thats what I ordered and both parts a and b are gray

13. yeah the natural color is a greyish tint but when you mix it, it lightens up to a grey/off white color some. I would contact Aves you might have received a bad batch

14. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    part A is grey and part B is greenish.

15. byrdman

so...all the other epoxies I have ever used...from rock hard...to all game...to sculp-all.....to majic scupt........."natural" was an off-white/bone color........why is thier "natural"... gray..........and it doesnt stick worth a crap....

16. maj1969

maj1969 New Member

MO
    I just got the black a couple weeks ago and it works fine, no problem. If anything it seems more sticky than the flesh color I have. Maybe you got a bad batch

17. KansasBuck

KansasBuck New Member

I have used the bone color for antler repairs or to extend a antler burr and it seems to work pretty good. Takes stain better than the other stuff.

18. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

byrdman, believe us when we tell you that you must have got a bad batch. The stuff is great stuff. It's all I use as well as many other guys on here. We have great luck with it. I know it costs a little more to buy it in the one pound size, but that is how I do it. It dries out to much if I buy the big size. They claim it keeps in the freezer pretty good. Also, the microwave does wonders on it if it starts to set up while you are sing it. Just about ten seconds and you can go again for a few minutes with ease. That is (apoxie sculpt) of course!

19. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

It's the best there is. It combines better than any of the other putties. Black and"pure white" can be grainy but still finish exceptionally well. Setting the containers in a bucket of hot water prior to beginning not only helps, but shortens the cure time. Using the Apoxy Solvent will make it even easier to use. I dip an artists brush in it to smooth out finish work. You must've gotten either a bad or mislabled batch.

20. schenk

schenk Member

If it's hard, you can microwave it for a few seconds, and good as new.
    I use this a lot, and repaired a broken duck wing, the bone was gone. Made a bone out of wire, then shoved a ball of this up in the wrist area, and put the wire in it, after it was set, you couldn't tell that wing didn't have the real bone.
    Must be a bad batch.