1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Anyone know where I can get an old rusted no hunting sign?

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Matt, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Matt

Matt Active Member

And no, I haven't found any on my hunting properties!(LOL) Let me know if you have one or where I could get one, thanks!

2. DropTine

DropTine DSCN0137.JPG

If you go to Duck Dynasty, they have a sign with a duck that is shot up. Not a no hunting sign but it might work, if you can't find one. Good Luck. Mark

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Don't know if this will fill your need but try and find a new one and rust it up by using salt.

4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Almost impossible to find a new sign that isn't made of plastic or aluminum...difficult to age these. Old Posted & No Trespassing signs are getting rarer by the minute.

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I'm sure that is true Joey. I thought I would throw that out there because I don't know of any other way.

6. DropTine

DropTine DSCN0137.JPG

Good reviews for Voss Signs. Look them up.

7. tommy70

tommy70 New Member

matt i have one i will add a pic
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Craig74

Craig74 New Member

This one is made from an old disc.

Attached Files:

9. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I did a google search and there are new ones available, if you need to go that route.

10. Matt

Matt Active Member

Thanks for the info guys. Tommy, those aren't exactly what I am after, but if I cannot find what I am looking for, I might get back with you. Thanks again guys and take care.

11. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Matt, you're going to find it expensive to get legible antique signs like that. I wouldn't try as part of a diorama as they're worth more sold separately than a customer is willing to pay.

For me, I quite trying years ago. I make my own out of old barn board or pallet wood. I use about a 6 inch wide piece minimum.

I made a stencil of sorts by penciling in "NO" and "HUNTING" on two separate lines on heavy artist paper. Then I cut the letter outlines with a scalpel. This allows me to center the words on the board. Once I do that, I take a scribe and lightly trace out the letters.

Next, I take a one inch artists brush and a can of white exterior white house and trim paint. I wet the brush and then wipe most of the paint out. I begin "dry brushing" the letters. This makes the paint appear as weathered as the board beneath it. I went to Lowes and found decorative antique nails that I use to hold the sign to a "tree" or "fence post"

I don't have any pictures but I did win a WASCO Award in 1996 with one if you're interested in looking that up. Pretty poor picture but the sign shows up.

12. NTR

NTR New Member

W.V.
    Could you take a new one made of tin, douse with salt water and hook a car battery to it and let it oxidize, scrape off the oxidation and air brush rust colored paint?

13. dc taxidermy

dc taxidermy Me and My Baby's senior picture

Matt there are a few on ebay...DC

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NICE-OLD-VINTAGE-TIN-NO-HUNTING-SIGN-/321077000146?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ac1ae37d2