1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Peacock Mount

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by majesticwild, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Hi Everyone,

I was contacted last nite from a gentlemen that I met at our state sportsman show. He has asked to have his peacock mounted with full plumage displayed. Its a beautiful bird. I'm not having any issues with mounting it, but this will be the first one for me and was wondering if anyone has any experience in mounting one and if there any issues to watch for and most importantly what to charge for this type of mount.

Thank you,
    Mark Couture
    Northern Vermont Whitetail Taxidermy School

2. I charged a guy 650 I figured it would be as much work as a turkey. I haven't mounted it yet so post some pics when your done and let me know of any issues along the way please. Never done one as well. Thanks

3. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

There is a reason that you very seldom see peacocks mounted in full display, and it has nothing to do with the space that's required to accommodate one.
    The problem is their feathers. If you've ever kept peacock feathers in a container then you've noticed that they will all gradually bend over. This is because they have very weak, flimsy quills in relation to how long they are.

You can certainly mount a peacock in full display, but, unless you support the outer sections of the feathers in some way, the train is eventually going to split down the middle as they all begin to droop.

4. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

By full plumage, did you mean completely fanned out? If so, you might have a challenge. My understanding is that over time the quills will weaken and bend. I have read of people using fishing line thru the quills to make them act as one unit and help support each other. Good luck

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Go to the tutorials wing tip 41 is about doing the bird with the tail down. If that's what you want.

6. Terrys Artistic Taxidermy

Terrys Artistic Taxidermy Fishing in Chernoble

I've had good success mounting peacocks in this position. The long tail feathers don't bend and it looks cool. Use a 1/2 inch steel rod that goes down to a heavy base. Paint the rod (hidden inside the tail) to match the color of the feathers. Various stores sold these mounts for $1500, from 1980 til 1995. I got half.
    Terry

Attached Files: