1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dinks I have to mount.

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Heath Cline, Feb 22, 2013.

1. wild deer or pen deer doesn't matter they all pay the same got a few pen deer this year and there money payed bills just the same

2. Richbo

Richbo 2nd place is the first loser!

It's a shame to mount those beauties on a straight mannikin. That pose just does not look lifelike to me, JMO.

3. R. Follis

R. Follis New Member

Not for the deer!!! not a fan of fish in a bucket

4. Height fence deer farms are awesome

5. I always tickled at my customers that do go on a high fence hunt and then go into this long drawn out story how long they have been hunting this deer for so long. Only they forgot about the tag hole or #s tattooed in ear. ;D

6. tommy70

tommy70 New Member

lol..to funny...at the price they charge for big deer,i often wonder how they can return year after year. i love traditional hunting best ...more challenge and more$$$ to head to other states hunting ;D

7. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

It is commerce.It is farming. No different than buying some meat at the store. If you want to spend your money that way then fine. If not then fine as well. It is simply an agricultural endeavor. Should not be any name calling or disparagement. How many would love to put a mink coat on their woman? Never care about where it came from though and why should you? It is a luxury animal product that you paid money to aquire. Can any of you see the comparison?

8. I do work for a few fenced ranches here in Fl. Smallest one is 600 acers, largest is 9000. Far from 1/2 ac or a bucket.

9. nelsondeerfarm

nelsondeerfarm me and THE BUCKMAN !!!

Here is a pic (sorry for poor pic quality) of a buck I just mounted, this buck is still alive at my buddies farm, he is one of his breeder buck. These are detachable antlers, I had to rebuild the bases as we actually cut the antlers off this buck at the end of September, he is still currently carrying his real antler bases, hasn't shed them yet. I love this 301" rack, its stunning, typical frame with plenty of extra's, farm raised or not, there is no denying he is a beautiful deer. I also have a deer farm myself, I love it and am very passionate about it and will do so as long as it's legal, it's awesome to have live reference for my taxidermy projects.
    [​IMG]

10. Was any of the CWD around your area ?

11. nelsondeerfarm

nelsondeerfarm me and THE BUCKMAN !!!

I actually bought a doe from the herd that had CWD in PA. I bought a mature doe, pink 4 was her ear tag number. What happened was, the PA ag department contacted me, said I was in immediate quarantine. I could not buy or sell until the could come in and kill Pink 4. I would receive zero compensation, and receive fines and/or jail time if I failed to comply. I was angry, but I was able to get them to allow me to kill Pink 4 with my bow (I did not want a government official showing up in my pen with a gun) Pink 4's head samples went away for testing, came back negative 3.5 weeks later. I was able to regain my freedoms back. It was a trying time for my, if she was positive, my herd would have been destroyed and I would receive no compensation. I felt very alone in the situation, not a lot of people care for deer farms and to them it's no big deal, they wish they would all shut down, local papers were running articles about pen deer indangering wild herds, if you see what I am required to put up with when it comes to CWD, you would see first hand its more of a game of politics, more so than it is a contagious threatening disease, I have a lot of opinions on "oh so dangerous CWD", but I don't want to get this thread to off topic, so I will leave that out. To me, I just love whitetails so much, I can't imagine not having them, sure I try to make money by selling to hunting ranches, I need some way to receive income to feed them, but I am far from getting rich doing it. Just a hobby for me.

12. Bucksmith

Bucksmith Member

Just dont see the tropy in any pen raised deer....makes no sense to me. Thats the rich mans way of being "better" than the rest...you will do great on the mounts im sure!

13. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

Im not into comparing trophys by antler size. To me, unless you are talking public land, someone always has an advantage with respect to access; the playing field is never "fair". I think "trophy" in terms of quality of the hunt, and that is measured individually and constitutes immeasurable criteria. Was it a great day in a beautiful setting, did you work hard for your deer, did you make a great shot, did you have a great time with your hunting group, did you harvest a deer with a mentor who might not be hunting soon? If the hunt is memorable, an animal mount is a way to preserve that.

I can't tell you how many times I've had trespassing hunters walk by my stand on 30 acres of private posted property. Drives me nuts. Exclusive is exclusive, except when it isn't right. I can see why a "preserve" hunt could be more enjoyable than dealing with hunters hell bent on big racks with no respect for the quality of another hunters time in the woods.

The "rich" man is only "better" if you believe he is more enriched by his success than you are by yours and you allow yourself to be denigrated by that.

Best, Scott

14. very well said thank you

15. I love doing a kids first mount. I try to get any kids WTD taken in Archery season to them for Christmas. I have had a few calls on Christmas Day from some vary happy kids.

16. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Envy is a sin and you pay a price for it as well.

17. WWJD !

18. Talk about small deer.

19. srholmes30

srholmes30 Living each and every day

WOW! Just curious, What's the price tag for a hunt

Scott

20. Fenced or not they are big sticks , it all comes down to the enjoyment of the hunt not the thrill of the kill, it is a bit hard t o call it a hunt if the animal can't escape from the hunter when it knows danger is near .