1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

My first whitetail deer

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by WV Outdoorsman, Feb 24, 2013.

1. WV Outdoorsman

WV Outdoorsman New Member

Well guy's and gal's I just finished my first whitetail buck. I learned alot and just caped out number two today. If you would please give me some input I would greatly and humbly appreciate it!!! I appologize in advance for the lighting in the pics. The weather has been too nasty to take it out side for pics.

Thanks,
    WVO

On my bench shot:
    [​IMG]

Nose closeup:
    [​IMG]

Straight on pic:
    [​IMG]

right eye
    [​IMG]

left eye, I noticed the roughness of the tear duct and corrected this but forgot to take a better pic.
    [​IMG]

2. Not bad for your first mount. I'm sure mine didn't look that good. I'll offer a few comments. The eyelashes are angled upward, not downward at about 45 degrees like they should be. Also appears to be some drumming around the back of the mouth area. Did you tan or use DP? Ears are set too low.

Also, there appears to be too much brow from the frontal view. Maybe too much clay in that area. Overall, not a bad mount.

3. Not bad for first! Ears off, left lower than right, both look low. Eye shape off a bit, too open? Check reference. Not a fan of straight pose, but you did pretty well for for first. Try a semi sneak with a turn for your second. JMO.

4. Eye shape and lashes probably off because you didn't adjust as drying first day or so. You really want to babysit eyes and lip line at that time.

5. Badgerland

Badgerland Quality taxidermy & quality deer capes.

Well, where do I begin?
    First off, congrats on taking a leap into taxidermy & being brave enough to post your pics here for critique.

There is a lot going on with this mount. It seems as though you did not use any reference pics of live deer.
    I'm sure you will have several people trying to help you on this so I'll just hit some magor points for now.

The shape of the eyes is not correct. This caused partly by the clay work & partly by poor positioning of the eye lids & tear ducts. BTW tear ducts should not be epoxied full.

Ear butts are not positioned correctly. I have seen worse though. Look @ ref pics & pay attn to butt shape & body lines to give yourself a map so to speak.

The nose could have been fleshed a little better or it might just be the way it was textured. The nose on a live deer has a lot of fleshy bumps on it. Yours looks like a rush job.
    Right below the nose there seems to be a big black smile of sorts. It could be because of the shadows in the pic, but there is definatly some room for improvement there.

The over-all positioning of the cape appears to be pulled too far down hill. This creates issues with the positioning of the white patch & the brisket & arm pits. The brisket looks to be too low on the chest. I DO LIKE how sharp the hair looks though. It kind of has a knife edge look to it.
    The arm pits on your deer.....well he doesn't have any anymore. The white hair next to the brisket is suposed to be the arm pits, your deers arm pits are now the fron of the legs. Sorry if this sounds harsh, I want to help, & some things just glare @ me.

Find yourself some good ref pics & compare them to your mount, & then use them (the pics) as a guide for your next one. There are some great free pics on these forums you can download for free.

There is more details like colorations etc, but I think I hammered you a enough already. You do have some basics to grow on, so don't give up if your like doing taxi. We'll get the paint colors & grooming stuff next time. Right now study anatomy. A lot.

6. Matt

Matt Active Member

I would highly recommend some good reference before you mount another one. I am not trying to be smart, but you will be making the same mistakes on the second one if you don't have good reference. Badgerland gave you some good advice to start with. Keep at it and keep us posted.

7. miker

miker Member

OHIO
    The number # 1 thing to get right on your next mount is the antler set. Get that right and you will be amazed how much better your mount goes and looks. Just research it here on taxinet. Also don't use as much clay around the eyes.

8. J Cook

J Cook Cook Taxidermy

X 2 with Mike R, it appears to me that the skull plate is mounted too far back, which is causing a lot of the problems that have been mentioned.

9. Badgerland

Badgerland Quality taxidermy & quality deer capes.

One more additional tip:
    The form you choose is the foundation of your mount. I understand economics & trying to save a few $ by getting an inexpensive VanDykes Classic form (or similar) but you do yourself zero favors in the long run.
    Anatomy starts with the foundation, the form.

The pose you choose can also help you in the long run. Straight on upright poses are just plain un-natrual looking, kind of the stick in the rear end position. lol
    Look for something with a more natrual pose, L or R turn, not straight.

Revolution makes some excellent deer forms with some really cool features that are worth your time checking out.

10. WV Outdoorsman

Well I guess you guys are telling me not to quite my day job just yet:} LOL!!!
    Thank you all for your input very much!!! I have broad shoulders and can handle it thats what I posted it here for. I want to do the best job I can at what ever I am doing. Once again this was my first mount and didn't expect it to be perfect.
    The shoulders is where I'll start the cape was actually cut right where the white patches were and I actually had to sew up where my friend cut it when he skinned the deer, on the left and the right side so thats what I had to work with. The form actually stuck through those white patches.
    As for the form it's a Rick Carter edge series form ED610. This was not my pick of forms and definatley not the pose I would choose but the gentleman who wanted the mount when finished, picked it out.
    Eyes, I know there was alot of room for improvement on the eyes. Im planning on ordering a reference cast and printing out some good color reference pics. However I used the Rick Carter video and the breakthrough manuals for my reference this go round and some online pics. Eyes were the most difficult part of the mount in my opinion. What do you guy's use to do your finish work around the eyes???

Anyways thanks to each and every one of you for your criticism. I'll definatley remember your input on the next one. I had to start some where!!!

Thanks again,
    WVO

11. deadstuff

deadstuff Member

You said the eyes were the most difficult part for you but a lot of the other things that have been mentioned are causing part of that. These other things like cape being taxied to far down, antler set not being correct, ears too low, etc. Can or will greatly affect your eyes. All of these things cause the whole face on your cape to be positioned wrong. Hope that makes sense. Good luck, keep going.

12. WV Outdoorsman

Your exactly right deadstuff!!! I don't think the ears are off as much as the antlers making them look off. There was a socket and position on the form for the ear butts to go and the ears fit right into the butts. I clayed around the ears where the seems fit together. I'll know better on the next one.

Thanks,
    WVO

13. i will give you one thing nose looks good for your 1st

14. WV Outdoorsman

That's funny I was told it was wrong too:} LOL!!! I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder. I purchased the bottle kit with applicator tips to add the texture on the next one. I used a needle tip to do this one and I took my time on it. I think the texture spots where a bit too large IMO.
    Thanks guys!!! At least you guys are giving me input. I would have felt worse if it had three hundred views and no comments:} LOL!!!
    WVO

15. tviper56

tviper56 Active Member

Welcome WV and thanks for the post. Don't be offended as none of us were ready to quit our dayjobs after our first mounts of anything. I agree with Mike in that the antler set can make all of the difference as that is usually the focal point to most commercial deer mounts. Keep trying and posting and I will admit it is much better than my first one was and no, I wasn't brave enough to post it on here! LOL! Tim

16. WV Outdoorsman

Thanks TViper I appreciate it!!!

WVO

17. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

Next deer, record as many reference points as you can just on your antlers alone, before you skin the deer. Example record measurements say rt. and left antler bur to corner of the eye, brow tine tip lft and rt. to front corner of the eye, etc... Then when you have your skull plate where you want it on the mannikin, you can revisit those measurements. This way you will know your antlers are set correct. This will help everything else to fall into place.

18. WV Outdoorsman

Thanks TWinter I have already skinned out number two and I took several extra measurements this go round.

Thanks,
    WVO

19. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Someone mentioned the antlers. It looks like they are too far back. The antler burr should be about two fingers' width from the back corner of the eye. This might have pulled everything back too tight and mishaped your eyes. When you get reference pictures, hold the picture of an eye right next to the eye you just mounted and compare. The next 2 days do the same thing. Adjust everyday for the first 2-3 days. There are a lot of good things for a first deer.

20. WV Outdoorsman

Thanks Boarhunter67 I appreciate it!!!

WVO