1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Skeleton of the week 17

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Jean-Christophe, Feb 25, 2013.

1. As promised, here is a Galah Cockatoo Skeleton (Eolophus roseicapilla). Assembled in 4 days (it means faster than with the last birds).
    Quite happy with it, except a wing that make it not fully symmetrical. It was hard to clean also, some parts macerated easily and others didn't wanted at first. Lots of marrow in the wings and legs bones.

Maybe someone else have something to show ?

Attached Files:

2. Galah

Attached Files:

3. Galah

Attached Files:

4. Galah

Attached Files:

5. TheSeaWench

TheSeaWench Member

CR
    Beautiful job. What did you use to hold the sclerotic ring in place inside of the eye socket?

6. Voltrax

Voltrax New Member

JC It's really nice as always. But why didn't you attached keratin?
    TheSeaWench. Wire.

And something from me.
    It took quite some effort but I finally finished my first bat.
    Was found mummified and then partially cleaned by someone so it's not perfect unfortunately.
    As you can see, the ribcage is in bad condition. I did what I could to make it look better, but I have to learn much.
    I had to clean it by hand and hand only so no beetles involved as in my second(in progress) bat skeleton.
    Anyway I'm quite happy of it. Hopefully my client will be too!

Attached Files:

7. nobody

nobody New Member

and a bad from me ;)

Attached Files:

8. nobody

nobody New Member

oooo sh... I ??? mean a little baT.

9. Thanks for the comments and posting some more skeletons :)

Yes.

Sheaths were disintegrated in maceration. I can't do like I did before for this part (let maggots do the work) and I still have to progress with it. I will try on some next birds. As I said, some part like the head didn't macerated after 2 weeks, so I had to help it with an other maceration.
    Robert your result isn't perfect but good anyway and please show the next one too !

If this one is bad, then I would like to see a good one now ! ;D
    Great skeleton again Nobody ! At first the very curved spine seemed a bit strange to me but the more I think of it and the more I think you're right.
    How did you cleaned it ? Fully macerated, partially or beetles ?

What are those bat species ? And how big are they ?

10. Voltrax

Voltrax New Member

JC, I know it's nothing comparing to that of Nobody, but as I said before, it wasn't perfect from start.
    Here's the picture how it looked like when it arrived.

Attached Files:

11. Voltrax

Voltrax New Member

And another to show you how small it was.
    Those scissors are about 10cm long ~ 4 inches

Attached Files:

12. Good rescue job, seeing how it was before. ;)

13. nobody

nobody New Member

First my excuse for the word bad. It was a spelling error (bad...bat)and had nothing to do with the skeleton of another. Call me Robert: no perfect start.....but it is now a beautiful skeleton!

The name of the bat: Carolia perspicillata and is about 8cm long. And this time I used beetles.

Awesome to see more skeletons on Skeleton of the week!

Guus where are you

14. nobody

nobody New Member

this skeleton I have a few years ago and it still wants to share with you.

Blue - breasted Kingfishers (Halcyon malimbica)

Attached Files:

15. nobody

nobody New Member

I don't use beetles

16. X2
    8 cm is smaller than what I thought (I was thinking a medium size bat like 15-20cm long).
    I saw those Kingfishers somewhere already and it's excellent again.
    Nobody, do you use the same method as Wouter for sheaths ? Or something else. Those beak sheaths are very colorful. Did the color faded a bit since the pic was taken ?

17. nobody

nobody New Member

I use the same method as that of Wouter.
    The sheaths of this species discolor over time, and so I painted them. Normally I would never do.

18. not as fancy as y'all with your birds , bats, and lexan but will throw it up here anyhow

[​IMG]