1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Smallmouth bass paint help

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by matchbook454, Feb 25, 2013.

1. matchbook454

matchbook454 Member

Just watched Rick Kranes dvd in preparation to paint my first fish. I had a couple questions and was hoping someone here might be able to help. I cannot find the med rich gold powder that he uses as his base. I found a fine rich gold and am wondering if it is the same? Are there any other alternatives such as pearl ex or even airbrush paint? I'm hoping that someone else has done a comparison. Since I'm just getting into fish and am on a budget I would rather not spend a ton of money "looking for" a similar color. Maybe I'm being a little anal about getting the color that close? Anyway, any help or advice is appreciated.

2. Just email Anglers Artistry and I'm sure they can answer your questions.
    I have same video, but I actually airbrushed the base colors and then used charcoals and powders for detailed effects. Just be sure to seal the powders.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

3. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

I think the point is to get a gold base to work from. I wouldn't get too specific to Rick's fish, your reference might be a lighter or darker shade of gold or a gold with a slightly different hue. Rick tends to like a powder base in this case because he thinks that method of pigment application holds up better during antiquing. The gold he uses (gold leaf and metallic co) is reportedly a mica infused metallic. I believe the medium and fine refers to the pigment size, and the "rich gold" is the color name, so they should have the same hue. Pearl ex is a mica based pigment. Non powder options like Iridecent gold paints from Golden Acrylics or liquitex, available at places like Michales and art suppliers, or Liquid Scales, or even gold acrylic spray paint could be similarly used, in my opinion.
    Best, Scott

4. tracy

tracy coon dogs

i used the fine rich and every thing worked out the way i wanted

5. matchbook454

matchbook454 Member

Thanks guys! As much as I like experimenting I just can't drop a ton of money on a bunch of paint. Wifes due with twins the end of March and lifes gonna get tough for a bit after that. I'd just like to get a few practice fish done. I've been skinning and mounting but just haven't got to painting yet.

6. Matt

Matt Active Member

Depending on where the smallie was caught, the base color can vary greatly. Rick Krane's videos are definately a great way to go and you can just alter your schedual to fit your fish.