1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Flesh-All Miniflesher

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Lonewolf_8126, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Can anyone give me any insight as to whether or not the air-powered mini flesher for sale through Mckenzie Supply worth the money?

Does it make things easier or is it not worth it, any insight will be greatly appreciated

2. That question always opens a can of worms!! I use one in my shop and love it. I use it for rough fleshing only. If you learn how to use it correctly I feel it's well worth the money. Those that don't like it would probably have a different viewpoint if they seen one used the proper way. Not saying that would encourage them to buy one. A mini flesher may not be for everyone. I've tried all sorts and like that method of rough fleshing the best. Someday if I can find a camera operator I would like to post a video, especially using it to turn the eyes, lips, nose and ears. The body of the cape is easy. The facial part takes practice.

3. Mark in IL

Mark in IL New Member

I had one, the air compressor type - I didn't like it. Like Hudson says - here's what works for me - I use a two handled knife to rough flesh, a big round blade to thin, and I finish the faces of my animals on the bench grinder wire wheel. I personally love the wire wheel. It gives me so much control to do what I want to get areas paper thin if needed.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

To answer your question: HELL NO! It's just one of those gimmicks. Unless you have a 5hp compressor with a 30 gallon tank minimum you'll never keep it up to speed. I bought one when I started but I should've bought a good airbtudh instead. Save you money and buy a REAL machine.

5. See you opened a can of worms. Some like it some don't. I 'm sorry I love mine BECAUSE I KNOW HOW TO USE IT. I use my real machine to shave and thin the body and the biggest part of the face of a cape. I can't turn the eyes down to the oil glands, turn the lips, nose or ears with a big wheel flesher. I can do all that with my mini. I have both an air model and an electric. I use the electric just to do some clean up work after I pull the cartilage out of the ears. True, you have to have a large compressor to run an air model. I have one in my shop already so it's not a big deal. If you don't have one that's a big expense if you are not doing very many animals. One day I'm going to find a camera man and post a Youtube video.

6. Here ya go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIpglGujChM&list=PL2B016DFCD8C2883E

7. George

ROTFLMAO. After 5 years I don't figure you can make a BS claim like that. And like I said, if you don't have a bigger compressor, you have to add that to your total cost.

8. verne

verne Well-Known Member

If you go on to buying a fleshing machine ; you will wonder you ever bought a mini flesher . ;)

9. George

I'd REALLY like to see someone remove the oil glands with ANY flesher, much less that little POS grinder fabrication.

10. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

If you have nothing else to use.... It is pretty cool, compared to scraping with a knife or whatever your using it does seem like a Godsend .... at first..... HOWEVER that thing slings crap all over you if your right handed... so you have to adjust the angle.. they need a sheild for sure...

BUT once you have a real fleshing machine at your disposal... you will NEVER want to use that mini thing again.

11. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

Ha, I'm left handed so it slings crap all over the wall. never thought about using it right handed and it slinging crap back at me. lol.

12. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I've had one for a lot of years and agree with just about everything that was said. I still use it from time to time for small jobs, and I even grind my own replacement blades, but my big fleshing wheel is what I use for 99% of the work. I have a 6hp compressor and when I use the mini -flesher it gives the compressor a workout. Like I said I bought one a long time ago and use it but would not spend the money again for one. Good luck...JL

13. What's the BS claim and the 5 years you're referring to George? The video doesn't reflect anything I'm referring too. I don't use my mini after pickling. Just when I rough flesh. I've used my big wheel flesher for fleshing prior to salting and I just don't like the way it feels. I do agree that a big wheel flesher is a definite must have when it comes to shaving the hide. Otherwise I will stick to my mini. Typically once I split the eyes all the way down to the oil gland with my mini I will just take a scalpel to finish getting them out. However, I have taken the oil glands out with my mini flesher. I think if some would see what the mini is capable of I believe some opinions would be changed. The video posted doesn't even come close to showing what can be done. That just shows the basics.

14. Oh and I don't understand what people are doing to have a mini flesher slinging stuff all over the place. I don't have that problem.

15. George

Well either you don't have one or you ignore the scraps of raw deer meat stuck to your face, arms, and hands.

16. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

ROFLMAO OK I laughed over that comment... I wholeheartedly agree with ya there George LOL

17. Im rotflmao too! I guess i must be using mine wrong. I guess i will go back to turning everthing entirely with a scalpel and waisting my time.

18. Let's make a wager George. If I post a video on how to use a mini flesher where i show how I use one, what it can do and lets say i get 10 people to post some type of positive comment about it. You have to send me a $25 gift card to Red Lobster. I will even flesh a cape where the membrane and meat is pretty much all in one piece. So that means no mess. I will have someone stand in front of me while im fleshing. Want to put your money where your mouth is George? LOL

19. George

I don't mind an honest wager but this sounds like "head,you win; tails, I lose". I can find 10 people who think battery acid makes a good pickle, but it doesn't mean its true. If you HAVE a real fleshing machine and are using s miniflesher, don't talk to me about "waisting" time.

20. Here i will use this one again. Seems to be popular amongst the know it alls. ROTFLMAO!