1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Flesh-All Miniflesher

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Lonewolf_8126, Feb 25, 2013.

1. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

People standing in FRONT of you wont get splattered.. unless you hold your flesher sideways..

2. True a right handed flesher will prove nothing with someone standing in front of them. However a brand new apron will show minimal junk i guess if thats what you call it. So George never answered my questions about the 5 years. Blah blah blah. So is anyone interested in seeing how to turn eyes, nose, lips and ears with a mini?

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

You don't read well do you? I'd be VERY interested in seeing you remove the oil glands with one and not "waisting" time with a scalpel.

4. MITCHELL4

MITCHELL4 New Member

I use a mini fresher for the eyes, nose, mouth on just about all my mammals as well. If you know how to operate one correctly and what to do to the blade to make it work for you then its easy.
    I can turn lips, eyes, nose no problem. it takes me 7 minutes to do all the detail thinning on a cape after its tanned and ready to mount. I know some people do different things and have different s ways to get the same results but 7 minutes is a decent amount of time i think. I can get all my tucking skin nice and thin and i don't have to use any pins at all on my commercial mounts when there drying.
    Everything is thin and stays where you put it with the normal babysitting over the days to follow.
    As far as the slinging meat. I get covered but i wear a apron when i work anyways. No biggy.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

5. Well Mitchell at least there's someone else out there that utilizes a mini flesher. Watch out though George will bark at you without knowing anything about you. I can only guess his five year comment about me is coming from the number of years I've been on this forum. The other 18 years I've been doing taxidermy and trying different things doesn't count.

Nobody is a master of using any tool the first time they pick it up. I guess after using a mini flesher to do my "rough" fleshing, mainly around the facial area and turning everything with very minimal use of a scalpel. I could use my Eager Beaver for rough fleshing the body but 1) it takes two hands and to shave so I can see hurts my back more. With a mini I can basically used one hand and run the flesher over the hide and do the same thing in the same amount of time. Plus I'm only getting one tool dirty. When I shave the hide after pickling I will use the Eager Beaver on the body and face. I will use a skife knife to get the eyes and nose super thin. You said you use your mini for that part. I like super thin skin around the eyes. Something I picked up from Ben Mears while in his shop a few times. Oh George I HAVE A SKIFE KNIFE TOO!!! I Have all the neat tools.

6. MITCHELL4

MITCHELL4 New Member

You can't teach a old dog new tricks. Lol. Ya i use the mini for all the final fleshing
    Around eyes nose and lips. I also like super thin skin but when i use my mini i use a blade i dulled just for finish work and i get it thinner than i can with a knife. I actually use mine on coyotes, fox, bobcats, and lots of other smaller game along with whitetails. I think if people wouldn't knock it before they try and actually LEARN how to use it then there would be a lot more people using them. I bet learning with Ben was a awesome time!
    As far as George goes. I don't personally know him and he doesn't hold back or sugar coat but beneath all that talk he has some good points, and as much as he don't show it i think there is a great friend, and knowledgeable acquaintance to be had there with him. i usually read all the post that i see he's commented in (along with some others on here) cause i still pick up on some really good seasoned opinions of things that i still haven't figured out for myself.
    That's one reason i really like this forum, its not all "one way". Some don't mind to share what they have learned and others help advance that and move it further.
    I will probably always have a mini cause i have learned to understand and operate it. It really has changed my finished product to what i couldn't achieve by hand.
    I to am glad to see someone else using the tool i use and recommend so much.
    posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire