1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Where/who would you go to for whitetail taxidermy training

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Drake270, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Drake270

Drake270 New Member

Hi everyone ,
    Just wanted everyone's opinion and input on if you we're to spend a couple days or more to learn/ study on whitetail shoulder mounts who would you go with ?

2. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

Bill Yox!!!!!

3. adamstaxidermy

adamstaxidermy New Member

Keep an eye on the "Gameheads" section for an upcoming "Yoxathon". Or, send Bill a Personal Message and let him know to inform you if there is one close to your area.

4. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Where you from?
    What is your current skill level?

5. Drake270

Drake270 New Member

I am in the mid Atlantic region

6. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

7. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

Check with your state association. No better place to start.

8. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

Ill second that! Bills classes are second to none.

9. Drake270

Drake270 New Member

Thoughts on Joe Meder ?????

10. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Depends. As you have been asked already, what is your skill and experience level? That is a very important question.

I will summarize like this. Although either would be excellent choices, a Yoxathon is somewhat limited because it is a 3 day class. BUt the study material is what most experienced people are looking for. Mounting techniques as well as finishing techniques.

With Joe, you will learn skinning tanning and mounting, but not as much on finishing.

If I was experienced, I would go to Bill's class. If I was green, I would go to Joe's class, then Bill's. If I was really really green, I would get Rick Carters DVD, and study with one of the not so famous instructors first, just to get my feet wet and then go and get your money's worth once you understand what it is you are suppose to understand.

11. Drake270

Drake270 New Member

I have been taxidermy for 8 yrs my commercial work is okay , I want to improve it more and want it to be more consistent , and want a cleaner product for my customers

12. antlerman

Then my answer would be Bill Yox.

13. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Me. LOL

14. adamstaxidermy

adamstaxidermy New Member

Yeah, that would work too lol

15. antlerman

Well, Rick. I have never studied with you, so I have no first hand experience. But I hear youre ok too. LOL

16. dartondude

dartondude New Member

Vincent Flemming in NC

17. BDrake

BDrake Active Member

I would think working with some of the more recent best in world winners would surely be a good choice.

18. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Now that we finally pried his location and experience level out of him, Vincent would be my suggestion as well.

19. scandler

scandler New Member

Risk carter , gen smith, don Stephens, Keith bowman of n.c., or tommy hall all would be first of choice. They all have judged our show and give great seminars and would bet the one on one class would be awesome!

20. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Let me make this list a bit easier. I see its one of those topics where some guys wish their guy was mentioned too, lol. Id say if you wanna study from a technical guy, go to him. If you want live deer to study, go to the guys who have live deer. If you dont like travel, go to one of the closer ones. If you want to save money, stick with the state association. If you wish to learn to compete, or wish to learn to be better commercially, thatll change your choice as well. The latest winner is not always a good teacher, and some very good teachers may or may not have won big, or at all.

For what its worth, Ill withdraw my name from this, as I am not currently offering one on one classes, which I believe is what you were looking for...