1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Simple alterations

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Daniel M., Feb 26, 2013.

1. Great Stuff..Thanks for sharing

2. osbornetaxidermy

osbornetaxidermy New Member

marking this for the bear Ill be doing soon

3. Fawn

Fawn New Member

I am currently working on a bighorn sheep, I have altered it already to a hard right turn, head down, and am now a little stuck. I ordered the form from McKenzie (never used their sheep forms before) and the head is different than I've used before. I like to keep the back corner of the eye orbit on the skull and line it up with the orbit of the mannequin. This form has both eyes and brows, no forhead; and back piece of head. If I cut into the eye area of the form I also have to carve out a lot of the wood that the skull attaches to. What would you guys do?

4. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Hold the skull next to the manikin with the eye orbits lined up. Mark lines from the form to the skull and cut to match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. adkgirl

adkgirl Active Member

6. Wilba

Wilba New Member

7. bow-cephus

bow-cephus New Member

Marking

8. stokedlight86

stokedlight86 Member

Just stumbled across this post and thought it was great. I am one of those people that alterations scare the crap out of. I have done some shaving and a little bondo work but nothing like this. Quick question.....when you say you "foamed" the form I undertsand the saran wrap but what foam are you using? regular insulation spray foam from the hardware store?

9. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

That hardware spray foam is not what you want to use. Purchase two part Polyurethane foam in the 3 lb density. It is available through many sources, maybe you can find one locally. I get mine through Reynolds Advanced Materials.

10. stokedlight86

stokedlight86 Member

thank you for the reply, I will look into that product. I would love to play around with some form altering and have a slightly more unique feel to some of the hobby mounts i do for myself personally.

11. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

All the taxidermy supply companies have it.

12. Bayou Boy

Bayou Boy New Member

Mark