1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

test-fit gone bad?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by ginevive, Feb 26, 2013.

1. I have a nice WT cape that I bought, and two forms. I did a test fit to see if it'd fit. The head fits pretty tightly over the face of the form, and the cape does not pull enough to sew up the back. (it's split all the way down. It'll be a lot of sewing, but I look forward to the practice; I am masochistic like that I guess; lol.)

Does this mean that I need to just get a new form? It "does" fit over the face, but then again once I got claywork done, and the earbutts.. not sure. It should not be tightly-fitting in the face, right? I am almost wondering if the face is good, but the neck needs to be thinned down (the form's neck) but I do not want a ewe-necked monstrosity.

Thinking that I just need a new form for this cape, and a new cape for that form. :)

2. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

measure the cape... order correct form.

3. Riverland

Riverland New Member

Should nor have to "stretch it" to fit. Especially as a beginner.

4. tommy70

tommy70 New Member

How was this tanned jen, might just need to shave down to get some stretch, Also i find it easier on a long incision to take 1/2 the split and sew up..much easier to work with...then u will love working with a short y incision later.wont show and seam ! jmo

5. Work the cape sideways to stretch it out. YOu may need to place in hair down on a concrete floor and work it side ways and diagonal to get the size back. Work from the middle to out.

6. Head Hunter

Head Hunter Member

Put one hand in the head through the mouth and the other in from the back side of the head. Now spread your hands/arms apart to stretch it. then retry to put the face back over the form. If that works then try to stretch the neck with the help of another person to test fit that. if its tight youcan get your helper to pull on one side as you pull on the other with pliers if needed. You can also sew the cape up part way from the back towards the head and insert a inner tube. Then blow the inner tube up and it will stretch the cape to a certain extent. Be careful so as not to pull the stitching out due overinflation. If these things dont work- order the appropriate sized form for your cape. There are other postings on here about the inner tube stretching technique. Good luck!

7. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

It will also help to spray it or wash it depending on the tan and sweat it over night. Then stretch it and measure or test fit. You will get more stretch and you may notice the heads not as tight.

8. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

After stretching like was said, Put the face on and pin the brisket where it belongs. Now, are you able to get the skin behind the ears to close? If so, while you are sewing, keep pushing the skin towards the head.

9. jorgy

jorgy Member

Remember it will move a lot easier once the glue is under it. I always go ahead and mount them if they fit the neck up near the head. The shoulders will fall into place with hide paste as long as they fit on top.

10. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Sewing up a long cut incision, is not a lot of sewing. If anyone is going to play taxidermist, sewing should be just as easy as texting.

11. Thanks immensely for your replies. I had to refreeze the tanned hide last night for time reasons (it was tanned by a local taxidermist for me, and he used McKenzie Tan.) I am thawing it now to see again how it lines up at its lowest point. This is the hide that I posted about it being cut short at the brisket, and me being advised to cut the form itself short after seeing just how far down the cape will fit. I have nothing to lose, but if the cape doesn't fit the form, I am setting it aside and using another cape I have here with a different form that does fit, for my first mount.

12. I do not dread sewing like some seem to. I have not sewed anything thicker than goatskin yet, but I look forward to it!

13. X2...if its tight it isn't right nor is it going to be. Down the road-

14. I really stretched the cape good, and it lines right up now. I just used the back of a chair as though I were breaking a backhide. :)

15. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Easier....

Easier for me to sew the cape on a long cut before mounting....all the way up to the "Y" incision area.

Kerby...

16. That is an idea that I will use. I don't see how it'd be easier to sew the cape onto the form all the way. Thank you.